Brake upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
So i bought a pinnacle lithium 2 a few weeks ago, ive adjusted the brakes and bought new pads but the brakes just dont seem that good.
Is there a decent upgrade thats fairly cheap and easy does anyone know?
I'll only do it if its going to make a good bit of differance.

Currently it has tektro v-brake 837al

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
V-brakes usually just work, and there isn't anything to "tune". What pads did you buy?

One thing to check is that some flat bar brake levers are multi-purpose and can operate both V-brakes and cantilever/roller brakes. If the lever has been set for the cantilever/roller option, a V-brake will feel very firm but have half the stopping power you would expect.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What's wrong with them? Usually v-brakes pretty much just work IME.

Obviously check that the pad alignment and cable tension is right, and that the cable is sat snugly in the lever, but other than that I'm not sure.

Another quick thing to try is moving the pin into a stiffer position in the mounting plates. It won't help braking as such, but does make them spring back a bit better.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Just feel like i really have to squeese the leavers to get good braking.

Got the pads from decathlon abot £6 for front and back set if i remember.

I used to have a jamis and a btwin road bike and both the brakes felt much sharper, also both v brake

One thing to check is that some flat bar brake levers are multi-purpose and can operate both V-brakes and cantilever/roller brakes. If the lever has been set for the cantilever/roller option, a V-brake will feel very firm but have half the stopping power you would expect.
Check this first. Pull the lever right back and see if there's a little red plastic widget. If there, it will be marked eith the options.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Kool-Stop salmon pads are very good. Make sure they are set up to hit the rim properly - as high on the brake track as possible with new pads, and with very slight toe-in (Kool-Stop pads have a bit of a "tail" that helps with this).

Really cheap bikes have plastic V-brake arms which just don't work whatever you do, but i'm taking £40 BSOs here.

Slioch

Guru
To me it sounds like a set up problem .I've fitted plenty of similar Tektro V-brakes and they are perfectly fine with stock pads.

This.

I had a similar problem with a set of cantilever brakes which never had the stopping power I would expect.
After umpteen unsuccessful tweaks, I finally bit the bullet and consulted Youtube (I think it was one of the Park Tools videos).
The problem was that I was relying on my own intuition as to the best way to set up cantilever brakes, which contained a fundamental flaw as to the position the canti' arms needed to be in at the point the pads made contact to the rims. After following the instructions in the video to the letter, the brakes now work perfectly.

Yes, it's set up gazza. Am afraid I am not techie enough to advise on solution but I am techie enough to know that you don't need new brakes. In my experience V brakes are way easier to set up from scratch than cantis and far more effective. I have installed 2 sets from scratch on bikes with no issues. I did have a problem with a set on a dahon sporrs folder but then that's dahon for you. I did eventually sort that but a .afraid I don't know how I did it.

Do please report back when you (inevitably) sort it. Will help me in future :smile:

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thanks guys I watch some videos and have a play with setting them up correctly then.

Yes the rims were clean before I went out ended up going down a bit of a dirt track so it's a bit dirty now and breaks were a bit squeaky after

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
So ive watched youtube and set the brakes up exactly how they showed, although better still not great at speed.

I dont think the pads are all that, £3 per set probably get what you pay for...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

CXRAndy

Guru
Talking of brake upgrade, I recently bought a cable operated disc brake bike, they are rubbish compared to my hydraulic Shimano or Hope setups. I swapped the original setup for full Shimano kit and now have my familiar wheel lockup fingertip control

Top Bottom