Brakeless fixed gear riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Brakes must be too mainstream for hipsters, lol.

I gave up trying to convince other people on another forum to stop riding track bikes,brakeless conversions etc. on public roads as all I got was ganged up on and grief with comments like how they can beat road bikers like me on their fixed gears!!

I've tried a fixed gear (with front brake) and they're horrible to ride on the road. I can guarantee that if a kid ran out onto the road no skilled brakeless FG rider could stop in time, it happened to me on my road bike and I had a close shave nearly knocking the kid over.

If you're in a car crash you're liable to be blamed for causing the crash. If people died or are seriously injured you're responsible for it, let alone (as far as I am aware) road cyclists are uninsured.

I've explained loads of times and all I can do is
icon_facepalm.gif
them on their ignorance to their own safety and the public's safety.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Brakes must be too mainstream for hipsters, lol.

I gave up trying to convince other people on another forum to stop riding track bikes,brakeless conversions etc. on public roads as all I got was ganged up on and grief with comments like how they can beat road bikers like me on their fixed gears!!

I've tried a fixed gear (with front brake) and they're horrible to ride on the road. I can guarantee that if a kid ran out onto the road no skilled brakeless FG rider could stop in time, it happened to me on my road bike and I had a close shave nearly knocking the kid over.

If you're in a car crash you're liable to be blamed for causing the crash. If people died or are seriously injured you're responsible for it, let alone (as far as I am aware) road cyclists are uninsured.

I've explained loads of times and all I can do is
icon_facepalm.gif
them on their ignorance to their own safety and the public's safety.

How so? Mine's fine on the road, and my alternatives have 30, 27, 8, or 2 gears, some of which I can actually make use of.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It just was alien to not be able to free coast! Not my cup of tea anyway lol.
Aha. Fair enough. Like Guinness, not being able to coast is an acquired taste and one must persevere to gain it.

Funny to think a hundred odd years ago people were probably saying the same about those new fangled freewheels.

Top Bottom