Brakeless fixed gear riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Skip hopping as I understand it - Lock your front leg out just before the bottom of the stroke. Just before the pedals get to quater to 3 yank up with the front foot. The rear wheel becomes unweighted & locks easily, even on an 85" gear.
get it up stop it spinning put it down start skidding.
Or just pull on that left hand lever attached to a rear brake, much easier (& safer)

Each to their own. My mate has been riding around York on a brakeless freewheel. Complete lunacy if you ask me, but then I'm not blessed with his remarkable bike control skills. I asked him how he does it. 'Anticipation' was the answer. I'd be too busy anticipating to start pedalling.

I have to admit I like the ideal of a fixed gear/front brake minimalist bike for my commute, but dont think I'm brave/skillful/mad/stupid* enough for a fixed wheel/brakeless bike.

Have I got that right > Fixed gear bikes can be fixed wheel or freewheel. Just because they are single gear does not mean fixed wheel right?

*Delete as your opinion dictates!

1751534 said:
Fixed wheel is fixed wheel. Freewheel is singlespeed.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Finding this fascinating BTW > The braking methods I mean, it goes to explain why potentially some fixies are awful cyclists in that they don't know how to stop properly?

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't think of any sensible reason for going out on to real world roads without brakes. I have them back and front on both my fixed gear bikes.

I do note that it is much easier to leg brake with a 63" gear compared to the 70" on my other bike. Still prefer brakes though.

Brakes on both my fixed bikes.

Front & rear on the main one and front only on the hack as the hack will only take a roller brake in the rear triangle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Each to their own. My mate has been riding around York on a brakeless freewheel. Complete lunacy if you ask me, but then I'm not blessed with his remarkable bike control skills. I asked him how he does it. 'Anticipation' was the answer. I'd be too busy anticipating to start pedalling.
He'll anticipate everything except the collision that hospitalises him. Eventually.

And I suspect his remarkable bike control skills will be the bystander's anti-social cycling.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
brakeless fixie=freewheel with a GOOD brake. the law accepts the fixed as a brake, i.e. we have to have 2 brakes but just the front and the fixed is legal.

Jezston

Über Member
I know a few people who do it, and most of them are pretty good at it. But they've still had nasty crashes that never would have happened had they fitted a front brake.

Skidding is fun, though.

Top Bottom