Brakes - 105 or Centaur??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

Hi guys

Bought myself a new set of wheels and I don't want to ruin the rims by using my old brake pads on them.

The old brakes are dual pivot, but there decathlon's own, and while I know I can just change out the pads I would like something more stylish.

On Offer I've found both the 105 brakes and the centaur brakes for around £35 - £40, which ones would everyone else go for, considering the rest of my bike is now shimano.

Cheers

Martin

Zoom

Über Member
bianco said:
Hi guys

Bought myself a new set of wheels and I don't want to ruin the rims by using my old brake pads on them.

The old brakes are dual pivot, but there decathlon's own, and while I know I can just change out the pads I would like something more stylish.

On Offer I've found both the 105 brakes and the centaur brakes for around £35 - £40, which ones would everyone else go for, considering the rest of my bike is now shimano.

Cheers

Martin

I'm Shimano through and through but the Shim's look a bit daft with the big 105 painted across them; Campag do look more sleek. Campag don't go for long drop though so make sure they'll fit.

You can get 105 which don't say 105 (R550 I think) just Shimano; I think the only thing Shimano wins hands down over are the STI's but that's because my thumb is next to my index finger :wacko:

rustychisel

definitely get the Shimano's otherwise you'll have levers and brakes with no quick release function (thus not allowing you to remove the wheels very easily at all).

Explanation: Shimano QR is on the brake body, Campagnolo is on the lever.

OP
OP
B

bianco

Cheers guys

I've gone for the shimano ones, pretty nice cos they matvh my 105 wheels aswell.

Thanks

Mortiroloboy

If you are worried about rim wear on your new wheels, swap the pads for some Koolstops, you can get a front and rear set of pads this includes the metal body that holds the pad to the caliper and a spare set of pads for about £30. IME much better at stopping and, kinder to rims than any Sh*mano or Campagnolo pads.

depends on your levers. shimano have the release on the caliper, campag on the lever. dosen't matter if you use very narrow tyres or don't mind letting your tyres down to get the wheel in and out.

rustychisel

piedwagtail91 said:
depends on your levers. shimano have the release on the caliper, campag on the lever. dosen't matter if you use very narrow tyres or don't mind letting your tyres down to get the wheel in and out.

Where were you when the real work was being done?:blush:

I refer the honourable member to my previous communication.

Top Bottom