Brakes and gears can not split?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bogracs

Hi,

I currently have mechanical disc brakes but want to change to hydraulic disc brakes. However, my brakes are combined with my gears on the handle. Is there a way to change only my brakes but leave my gears as they are? Any advice would be appreciated.
bike brakes.jpg

B.

Tangoup51

Hey there!

I had to face the same question aswell when I upgraded my old cheap MtB into something new with hydros. - I disassembled the brake lever from the gear body (which you can do) and then shoved the new hydro brakes next to it. - I found that it was awkward for me to hold the brakes + the triggers for the shifters at the same time, but I rarely hold both at the same time.

Hindsight, I'd of loved to try out Cable Actuated Hydraulic Disc Calipers firstly instead. - Try googling them, see if it takes your fancy.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Do you have gear shifters on both brakes?

Realistically, you will get by far the biggest benefit from a front hydraulic brake, to the extent that it's hardly worth changing the rear - unless you like doing broadsides.

An improvement could be made more simply by just changing the front rotor to a bigger one, assuming you don't have the biggest fitted already.

Top Bottom