Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
How good are Kool stop salmon pads, have read a bit of a review on them, and they are supposed to be kind to your rims, am using shimano at the moment and they do sound like they are grinding the rims away, i always clean them after a ride but they have sounded like this from new, they don't seem to be doing any damage they just sound like they are.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have used Koolstop salmon pads on older retro bikes and cant fault them

Davidc

Guru
I've used the KoolStop salmons and they're fine. Prefer the dual compound ones though for all weather consistency.

Like you I clean the pads and rims after dirty rides, and in fine weather once a week or more. Stops the grinding noises and presumably reduces wear, it also improves braking.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've used Salmons for years and they've been very good, I needed some replacements recently and couldn't get any in this country for some strange reason, they were available in the USA but not here, Simpson Cycles, my regular supplier was out of stock and so were everyone else.
I ended up buying these in black from spa Cycles http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s104p819
If you select options theres only black and silver available despite the salmon picture.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I definitely like the Salmons. Have swissstop on the road bike. Both are good, though the swissstops really really don't like any dirt and disintegrate quickly with grubby rims. Kool Stops are fine with low maintenance..

Top Bottom