brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
which brakes are more reliable in wet and dry and to be able to sort out if touring mechanical or hydraulic discs in the past ive used centre pull sidepull cantis and v brakes

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d go for mechanical TRP Spyres :okay:

Adam4868

Guru
Ive never had mechanical disc so i cant say what the advantage or disadvantages are.I have a bike with rim and one with hydraulic disc and it is a luxury in bad weather.But they both stop me good enough.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ive never had mechanical disc so i cant say what the advantage or disadvantages are.I have a bike with rim and one with hydraulic disc and it is a luxury in bad weather.But they both stop me good enough.

Same here really - 4 bikes with rim brakes (1 MTB) and an MTB with 4 pot hydraulics. Never any issues - all work fine and reliable.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a front drum and rear cantis. The feel of braking in the wet it totally different to in the dry - it feels like the drum does a lot more work. The other advantage of drums aside from wet weather performance is that the maintenance schedule is in the 10’s of thousands of miles.

Good rim brakes are better than crap disc brakes
Mechanical discs can be a faff and regular adjustment, Hydraulic are more "fit and forget until pad replacement"

Top Bottom