Brand name bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was posts on the lines of 'problem with my 2009 Specialized Drongo III rear gear", when just a reference to the type of rear changer would be more useful, and the recent 'Triban 3 owners' club' thread that prompted my original question.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Mine are described as the "Commuter " the "Road bike" the "tourer" and the "folder". Mrs Banjo has been known to enquire "How can you ride all those bikes with only one arse?".

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
In fact the mtb recently had a frame transplant. So whereas I might have referred to it as a 'Marin', it now sports an 'On-one' logo. But it's still just the same mtb.
I'm not sure that Theseus would agree.

Or is that concept now to be referred to as The Bikes of IanH?

simon.r

Person
I've always referred to my bikes by the frame - e.g. the Charge, the On-One or whatever. You can change the components as much as you like, but the heart of the bike is the frame.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hmm. Bikes, plural, adds to the complexity. What if I were to move components from one to another?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's the frame that makes the difference, components can be exactly the same on bikes with different frames. Therefore you refer to the bike by the make of frame, and model number, maybe, as in 'Peugeot 525', 'Ribble 7005 SL','Winter Ribble', in my case. Then any more detail required as in '7005SL Veloce'.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
... Then any more detail required as in '7005SL Veloce'.
As someone who's spent a lifetime mixing and matching components, the 'more detail' could get complicated.

youngoldbloke

Just use the name on the frame. That - the frame - is what really distinguishes one bike from another, (unless they have the same frame then something else might be needed).

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
My commuter is called Roxie. She is black with white and orange highlights. However she is VERY obese but manages to keep her strength up. She had a tummy tuck a few months ago but she just seems to keep eating. She is getting on a bit now (approx 40's) and is quite ugly.

She has a new sister. A much younger model. She is mostly white with black streaks. She is very simple and very light. Her name is Julie. Julie has been housebound by an older gentleman for quite some time. She hasnt had much use but had been kept in a very good condition. She is early 30's but looks like early 20's.

I also have another bike called Vanessa. She doesnt see much use but is rugged and able to go anywhere.

I like to give my bikes names and a little story. It brightens things up a little and gives them a personality.

DRHysted

Guru
My bright yellow Viking got the tag "yellow peril" at work, which stuck. When I started riding the old MTB which is red, it got christened the "red devil". So following that theme I called the Allez I got last may the "black knight" (I'll let you guess what colour it is).

youngoldbloke

It was posts on the lines of 'problem with my 2009 Specialized Drongo III rear gear", when just a reference to the type of rear changer would be more useful, and the recent 'Triban 3 owners' club' thread that prompted my original question.
Agree with the first point - if you are asking advice regarding a particular component it would be more useful to specify what brand/model it is. Don't see a problem with 'Triban 3 owners' club' - I assume it would be a club for owners of Triban 3s? What else would you call it?

I think there is a often a replacement cost below which bicycles will not be referred to by name, model and year.

As a cyclist of many decades, I recall when even if someone had a Colnago or similar, it was just referred to as a bike.

The fascination with marque, model and year seems to have started with the latter part of the MTB growth curve.

I think a different breed of enthusiast has (up to a point) become interested in cycling in the past decade or so - logically, as everyone gets older and deader over time. This, combined with higher disposable incomes over the same period and the Brett Easton Ellis lust for brand names, has resulted in threads entitled 'Loving my 2012 Cube Fantasticon'.

It reminds me of a friend of ours who spilt something on her arm at a picnic and yelled "Oh my God! My Patek Philippe!" It was said entirely for effect, but I just thought "Silly girl, wearing a nice watch to a picnic".

I love the way the cycle industry has blossomed and expanded and sucked in so many new enthusiasts, but I groan sometimes at hilltop breaks when I hear the newly enthused restricting their chatter entirely to component cost and model year.

Similarly, I giggle at the competitive fact swapping by pro-cycling fans.... They're just bloody bike races. You didn't invent them or anything and most people would keep quiet about that level of geekery.

Yes, you are quite right; I am indeed middle aged. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom