Brand name bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I notice increasingly people refer to their bikes by brand or model name, rather as you might with a car ("My Ford Focus Mk3 deluxe").

I've never regarded any bike of mine like that. Each of them is a frame with various components (which change as I replace or upgrade). So I'll refer to the road bike, the light tourer, the fixed, the mtb, etc.

In fact the mtb recently had a frame transplant. So whereas I might have referred to it as a 'Marin', it now sports an 'On-one' logo. But it's still just the same mtb.

Am I just old-fashioned?

Am I just old-fashioned?
Yup :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
Hhhhhmmmm, Pinnacle Dolomote One with carbon seat post, Barelli seat and stem, Tiagra brakes, 105 mechs and Ultegra skewers doesn't trip off the tongue.

Giant Trance X with carbon post, Easton bars and stem, XT mechs and a fistful of helitape is also not a catchy name.

And then there's Frankensteins commuter...

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have two road bikes, so i have to use there makers name other wise you would not know wich one i was going to use, not that it makes any differance,:whistle:

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I always refer to mine by the frame maker or mannfacturer... Marin, Dawes etc.
Okay, I tend to too, where the frame was the first thing I bought. But the fixed is an ancient possibly Holdsworth frame, and the mtb is 'you know, the one I bought off A'.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My wife has two Treks, which she refers to as Trek1 and Trek2 which for some reason amuses her.

I refer to mine as the road bike and the 'brid.

lulubel

Über Member
I refer to my road/cross/touring bike as "the Surly" because it isn't any particular type of bike, and also because Surly isn't a brand you see very often in Europe, so it's a bit of a talking point among other cyclists I meet.

My mountain bike, however, is refered to as "my mountain bike" because that distinguishes it from my OH's mountain bike.

If find it quite interesting that my OH also refers to her mountain bike as "my mountain bike" and her road bike as "my Trek".

Top Bottom