Brand new Brompton squeaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
H
It's most likely to be the suspension block and when i had a problem with squeaking everyone told me that it was definitely the block that would be causing it.

But I eventually pinned mine down to the fact that the rear triangle had worked loose.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RYbrBmqh0U

Noisy little bugger it tis !!!☺️

12boy

Guru
I disagree they are ill made. The rubber bung does squeak but is easily greased. Sturmey Archer hubs do make some noise ordinarily but mine do not because, being a luddite I lubricate mine with 5-20 synthetic oil. The rear triangle bushings do need to be replaced...but mine were good for at least 10 k. Can't speak to the pedals.....I use SPDs.

chriscross1966

Über Member
A Brompton isn't like a normal bike, especially if you are used to derailleur systems. There's the weird whirring from the SA rear hub, the incredibly direct but squirelly front end, and top of the list, the suspension block squeak. That's just Bromptons, welcome to The Fold

mitchibob

Über Member
I disagree they are ill made. The rubber bung does squeak but is easily greased. Sturmey Archer hubs do make some noise ordinarily but mine do not because, being a luddite I lubricate mine with 5-20 synthetic oil. The rear triangle bushings do need to be replaced...but mine were good for at least 10 k. Can't speak to the pedals.....I use SPDs.

23,000km and things I've had to replace so far are chains, sprockets, brake blocks, rear mudguard and a front rim. Never ridden with the original pedals, like you, changed immediately to SPDs. I also changed to superfirm suspension block, but not because the original one squeaked. Saddle stitching is starting to come apart, but I can't decide what to replace it with. Only done basic servicing myself, and regular drivetrain clean/lube. Could not say it was ill-made!

12boy

Guru
Well, mine is a little bit modified...Chris King Gripnut headset, ergon, Velo Orange narrow leather saddle, 3 speed SA hub and 3 speed Bike Gang hub. (2 different rear wheels) new brake levers, different cable routing, oil port for the rear hinge, a Shimano 119 BB, Sugino 110 BCD cranks with 58 and 38 tooth chainrings, and of course, SPDs. Also have Schwalbe studded snows although I've never used them. As Fab Foodie has said if I could only have one bike this would be it. They are lots of fun to tinker with as well as ride.

I sent a youtube link of brompton championship race in London to my mate, he loved it and said the bikes look to appeal to the eccentrics 🤣

Kell

Veteran
I sent a youtube link of brompton championship race in London to my mate, he loved it and said the bikes look to appeal to the eccentrics 🤣

That reminds me that I never finished editing my footage from a couple of years back.

What shocked me most about that is that before the race, I genuinely thought I could be near the front...

Then, when I was blowing our my arse at about 22mph the leaders passed me doing (I estimate) 28-30mph. Led by Emma Pooley though...

View: https://www.facebook.com/Kell.LC/videos/10155447673221021/

Brilliant, love it 👍

That reminds me that I never finished editing my footage from a couple of years back.

What shocked me most about that is that before the race, I genuinely thought I could be near the front...

Then, when I was blowing our my arse at about 22mph the leaders passed me doing (I estimate) 28-30mph. Led by Emma Pooley though...

View: https://www.facebook.com/Kell.LC/videos/10155447673221021/

good god 😳Where they riding the electric Brompton. Hells bells who needs a carbon road bike with Di2 jiggery pokery

OP
OP
R

richrboo

Hello

An update. The dealer were incompetent during collection and bike setup, so I went straight to Brompton. They suspected the folding pedal. I changed the folding pedal to my spd pedal and squeak went away. I refitted the folding pedal to 30Nm and squeak gone. The folding pedal was on too tight.

I do have a very small amount of play in the pedal. Brompton kindly sent me another pedal and this behaves in the same way, a small amount of play. Law of averages suggests this is how it is, but I would be interested if other Brompton owners have similar play in the pedals, another video here.

View: https://youtu.be/BMzwD08RiyA?t=10

Rich

Top Bottom