Branded/Unbranded frames and harshness?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If steel Is so good why the carbon fork?
Cos that's what the frame came with and its painted the same v pretty colour :smile: and I also like the bike a bit lighter. This is the 'tourer' so every little helps especially if carrying up stairs, on and off trains etc with my weak and dodgy joints.
And I'm not exactly lightweight so will take any assistance I can on weight!!

You can tell the difference between bikes in terms of ride but a lot of factors go into that ride and it's a question of understanding how it all might work together. For instance I have a cromo mtn bike, retired to touring and day rides. It's a lovely smooth bike but it rides harshly over sharp bumps with the current tyres on it, lowering the pressure eases it a little but the tyres are just a bit stiff and rigid even so. My alu mtn bike feels great as well but it has 2.3inch tyres but the back end is stiff compared to my steel mtn bike. My road bike is steel and just all round very comfortable, especially now I have the pressures nailed. Before I bought it, I rejected a number of bikes because I didn't like the ride, same with my steel mtn bike. It's all very subjective and, as I always do, I recommend you ride anything you are thinking of buying.

e-rider

crappy member
quality control - brands usually insist on higher standards of QC - plenty of faulty frames slip through the net when job-lots are sold unbranded = much higher chance of getting a shite one

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they all the same geometry, running the same tyres, tubes and saddles?
I did say anecdotally. I also said the OP needs to try and then decide for himself. They are all a more relaxed geometry especially the carbon. All same width wsd saddles of similar styles and shapes. 23mm vittoria Rubino tyres. Tubes, mix I'm sure

It's the jarring off the ride not the comfort of the position that varies by material between the 4 bikes I have

That said it's 10 weeks since I've been allowed near a bike and will need to get refitted when able to cycle on physio's instructions so perhaps I am mistaken in how I feel on my bikes on the roads that I ride?

outlash

also available in orange
That said it's 10 weeks since I've been allowed near a bike and will need to get refitted when able to cycle on physio's instructions so perhaps I am mistaken in how I feel on my bikes on the roads that I ride?

How long have you got before you can look at riding again?

vickster

Legendary Member
How long have you got before you can look at riding again?
Good question. I'd say at least 6 weeks. I see the surgeon in 2 and I'll ask him then, but I have a lot of pain still. Right now I couldn't actually use my right arm to indicate!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I'm finding it hard. Dunno what to do at weekends, especially the long ones. I've joined a gym as I'm putting on a lot of weight :sad:

Top Bottom