Bread bins, what's occurring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Got a large bread bin couple of weeks ago to put shop bought bread in.

Hovis Seed sensation and a small Danish

For some reason the bread now stinks of chemicals?
Just had boiled eggs with toasted seed sensation bread "which i love" bloody awful taste and smell.

Metal bread bin with a wood chopping board lid
Bread isn't going off early and the date on it is 16-9-19
What's occurring to ruin the bread

vickster

Legendary Member
No idea but I’d take the bread bin back (assuming you gave it a good wash and maybe left it to air without the lid on?
Does the bread bin itself smell of the same thing?)

That said, boiled eggs stink more than most things xx(

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
No idea but I’d take the bread bin back (assuming you gave it a good wash and maybe left it to air without the lid on?
Does the bread bin itself smell of the same thing?)

That said, boiled eggs stink more than most things xx(

Bins fine, its the seed bread we think.
I love a chucky eggs

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've had Hovis Seeded bread that's tasted chemically before.
Don't buy it anymore.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Out of interest I googled storing bread in the fridge, and most research reckons it actually goes stale quicker in the fridge. I just keep mine in the cupboard usually if I'm eating a fair bit, but otherwise pop it in the freezer and just take out a couple of slices at a time. Straight into the toaster if you want toast.

vickster

Legendary Member
Out of interest I googled storing bread in the fridge, and most research reckons it actually goes stale quicker in the fridge. I just keep mine in the cupboard usually if I'm eating a fair bit, but otherwise pop it in the freezer and just take out a couple of slices at a time. Straight into the toaster if you want toast.
I pretty much always toast bread (unless it's brand new) but I don't like it out of the freezer, seems to go really dry when toasted but still soggy around the edges. Stale from the fridge is ok for my toast

Errr, the date on the bread is tomorrow. So it could be about to go mouldy.

How does it know this though?

I once lived next door to an older gent who was a toddler in postwar Germany. His stomach is still incapable of eating fresh bread because he never had any as a young child: he has to allow it to go stale before eating it or he gets stomach pains.

Top Bottom