Bread bins, what's occurring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yeah, he will only get a cob on

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Got a large bread bin couple of weeks ago to put shop bought bread in.

Hovis Seed sensation and a small Danish

For some reason the bread now stinks of chemicals?
Just had boiled eggs with toasted seed sensation bread "which i love" bloody awful taste and smell.

Metal bread bin with a wood chopping board lid
Bread isn't going off early and the date on it is 16-9-19
What's occurring to ruin the bread

Factory bread is full of preservatives, additives and processing aids so I’m not surprised by the stink of chemicals. I keep my bread wrapped in a cotton tea towel (Ikea do the perfect item at 50p) and then put it in a bread bin in the coolest part of my kitchen. Do not put bread in a fridge as, although it will prevent mould for longer, it will go stale more quickly.

If you won’t eat the whole loaf within a few days, freeze it and thaw as needed but let it thaw at room temperature.

I don't eat much bread any more, it's all full of farking soy these days which I can't eat anyhow, so I buy loaves which are soy free and keep them in the freezer and just remove a slice when I need it, toast it or defrost it.

Did you accidentally creosote it Meta?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We buy bread from our local butcher (they bake it upstairs). Much superior to anything from a supermarket.
Butcher, baker, what are their candlesticks like?

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I don't eat much bread any more, it's all full of farking soy these days which I can't eat anyhow, so I buy loaves which are soy free and keep them in the freezer and just remove a slice when I need it, toast it or defrost it.

Did you accidentally creosote it Meta?

No, but i didn't now about the soy..
I had a sandwich in Cornwall that made my stomach feel like it was going to pop.
Same thing with Quinoa, feels like ive been assaulted with an air line after 20 mins

PK99

Legendary Member
I keep bread in the fridge well beyond it’s dare (as I eat so little usually). Bin when mouldy or really old!

Not wise to keep in the fridge.

Staling is not a drying process but is starch crystallization. The rate of crystallization is greatest at about 4C ie fridge temperature.

Counter top or freezer are best places to store bread.

vickster

Legendary Member
Staling is not a drying process but is starch crystallization. The rate of crystallization is greatest at about 4C ie fridge temperature.

Counter top or freezer are best places to store bread.
So, what does that mean? It’s not killed me in 47 years
Bread goes mouldy on the counter top and I don’t like it after it’s been frozen so it also ends up in the bin. Fridge works for the one loaf I buy a month if that. Fresh Rolls eaten the same day are my preference

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I find a lot of new products (usually plastic but some metal too) have a horrible new smell. Lemon juice is good at getting rid of smells but not sure how good it is for metal

Top Bottom