Bread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My sandwich today. Made with a mix of flour ground by my 9 y/old lad at the Newbury (Royal Berks) show and Waitrose Canadian wheat in a Panasonic Breadmaker...

Sorry, I had to take a bite before I got the camera out!

i've used that back of the dried yeast box recipe and not had much luck with it.

i now have some fresh yeast in desperate need of a recipe, anyone able to help.
i just want to make a plain 500g loaf nowt fancy, either wholemeal or 50/50.

cheers,

velocidad.

mcr

Veteran
I'm another one who's caught the home-baking bug - sometimes using a breadmaker, sometimes by hand.

But going back to the OP, that definitely looks like too much yeast (and salt), which can supposedly inhibit rising (the fact that recipte comes from a yeast packet suggests they want to shift more yeast!). A standard recipe that works seems to be: 500g flour, 300ml water, 1tsp yeast, 1tsp salt, with fat and sugar as optional extras, though they definitely improve texture, taste and keeping qualities. I found olive oil gives too, er, oily a texture, but rapeseed seems to make it softer. I usually put a squirt of clear honey in rather than sugar. This all usually rises in an hour or so in the airing cupboard.

A couple of tips gleaned from the River Cottage bread handbook: roll the shaped dough in wholemeal rye flour for tastier crust. And start with the pre-heated oven as hot as it will go (probably c.260) for the first ten minutes and pour boiling water into a tray to get steam, then reduce to, perhaps, 180/170, for another 20-30 minutes, depending how dark the crust got at the hot temperature.

I've always been disappointed by the crust from my breadmaker, but now tend to use the dough setting and bake in the oven. Bizarrely, the RC book makes no mention of breadmakers - must be beneath them!

U

User482

Another vote for panasonic here. They have lots of good recipes in the manual - I like the Italian ones with olive oil & herbs.

I've baked bread over a campfire, using an "oven" made from a heavy cast-iron stove and a biscuit tin. The bottom was burnt, but the rest of it was very nice indeed. Standard dried active yeast, strong white flour, glug of olive oil, warm water, let-it-rise-in-the-back-of-the-car recipe

mcr

Veteran
User482 said:
Another vote for panasonic here. They have lots of good recipes in the manual - I like the Italian ones with olive oil & herbs.

Trouble with the manual (or at least my edition of it) is the suggestion that if you don't follow the recipes to the letter the machine will self-combust or something. I know it sounds pathetic, but it took me ages to realise I could leave out the dried milk powder, which was giving my bread a nasty metallic taste. Now I'm happy to try different mixtures and break the rules - eg you can do granary dough on the wholemeal setting to be able to put it in the oven.

U

User482

mcr said:
Trouble with the manual (or at least my edition of it) is the suggestion that if you don't follow the recipes to the letter the machine will self-combust or something. I know it sounds pathetic, but it took me ages to realise I could leave out the dried milk powder, which was giving my bread a nasty metallic taste. Now I'm happy to try different mixtures and break the rules - eg you can do granary dough on the wholemeal setting to be able to put it in the oven.

Dried milk powder?!

The basic ingredients for my machine are flour, yeast, water, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar, and butter (or oil). None of the recipes use milk or milk powder.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My panasonic bread maker recipes uses milk powder in them, and I started off using it in them (but I haven't looked at that booklet in years). However I soon started experimenting and the other day I chucked out the milk powder which had sat at the back of my cupboard unused for years. This is a fairly old bread maker though.

Now I have several bread recipe books and also experiment as well.... it rarely goes completely wrong. I do use some recipes with milk in them ... I think the most recent was a courgette bread which was delicious.

Davidc

Guru
As said earlier make sure you knock it back (bash it down flat after first rise)

As above - milk or 10g skimmed milk powder in the mix improves it. A tiny amount of sugar, about 5g in a loaf, helps make the yeast work. Dried yeast is OK but fresh is best, I get it from a small bakers.

I use 450g of wholemeal organic flour plus 50g white organic from Dunster Watermill, and then a Morphy Richards breadmaker. Does it all if I'm lazy, otherwise it does the preparation and then bake in the oven (230 deg C). I often do plaited loaves. Look good, and they bake very evenly.

As Fab Foodie says, the quality of the flour is really crucial to a good loaf.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Milk powder also contrubutes to the browning of the loaf, nice maillard reaction twixt the milk proteins and the reducing sugars.

stephec

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:

Is this an official Wafflycat endorsement? ;)

I bought a cheap Argos breadmaker on the reasoning that all they do is mix together the ingredients and heat them up. So I didn't see the point in lashing out on an expensive one, I now know the error of my ways.

Have you used any other types of bread maker to compare this one with?

The one that I have - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4229399/Trail/searchtext>BREAD+MAKER.htm - has a pan that bakes the loaf vertically rather than horizontal (something I didn't even think about when I bought it) and the loaf rises well, but the top collapses a bit just before it's finished.

You couldn't do me a big favour and post up a picture of the finished article from your machine could you?

Top Bottom