Bread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
PM, if you can't make bread you are in good company. My Mum can't. When I was a child she tried several times (there were always bread strikes on in the 70's in Belfast), and consistently turned out bricks.

Many years later, swayed by the enthusiasm of friends. She bought a breadmaker. It blew up. She got it replaced, and it produced, if not bricks, then breeze blocks. She's given up.

I did try it, and she said my attempt was better than hers, but it was still pretty doughy.

She makes bloody good pastry though.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Thanks Arch but I'm not giving up yet, won't be back home for another go at it for a bit yet. I have made some decent ciabatta but it was from a pre-mixed packet - just add water and a bit of olive oil. It came out very good and I've used my own bread for pizza bases before successfully, but under a layer of tomato puree and cheese you can get away with a lot.
I WILL get it right eventually.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Oy, Piemaster! You'll like this.

There was an explosion in a pie factory in Huddersfield today.

3.14159265 dead

And lastly, 6-1.

wafflycat

stephec said:
Is this an official Wafflycat endorsement? :ohmy:

I bought a cheap Argos breadmaker on the reasoning that all they do is mix together the ingredients and heat them up. So I didn't see the point in lashing out on an expensive one, I now know the error of my ways.

Have you used any other types of bread maker to compare this one with?

The one that I have - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4229399/Trail/searchtext>BREAD+MAKER.htm - has a pan that bakes the loaf vertically rather than horizontal (something I didn't even think about when I bought it) and the loaf rises well, but the top collapses a bit just before it's finished.

You couldn't do me a big favour and post up a picture of the finished article from your machine could you?

I'll try to remember to do that with the next loaf I make.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I go through phases of bread making. Half and half of white and stone-ground wholemeal, an egg, a bit of oil, small amount of salt larger amount of black treacle. (all measured by eye). Dried yeast in warm water with a little sugar and flour, leave somewhere warm for a while. Mix the ingredients sans yeast, then add the yeast and a minimum of warm water to make a stiff dough. Keep kneading until it doesn't stick to the bowl or your hands. Cover to prevent it drying out and place somewhere vaguely warm (warmer if you're in a hurry). Let it rise to twice size. Knock it down put in the tin/on the tray and let it rise again to twice size - many people don't allow it to rise enough. Then into a hot oven and reduce the heat to around gas 5. Should be ready in 50 mins.

I often put 'other' stuff in as well. Experiment.

wafflycat

stephec said:
You couldn't do me a big favour and post up a picture of the finished article from your machine could you?

Here's a basic loaf from the machine

Basicfrenchwhiteloaf001020609.jpg

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Anyone for a lovely warm slice of bread and runny butter?

My 11 year old son has just finished making the bread and taken it out of the bread machine a few minutes ago.
3967097882_0f4e850954.jpg
mhtml:{74D7CC04-E484-4481-8750-A9E7...tic.flickr.com/2557/3967097882_0f4e850954.jpg

Piece of cake to use, rises every time and tastes absolutely delicious!

I like the machine being programmed to finish in the morning. Waking up to the smell of baking bread in the house is a treat.

stephec

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Here's a basic loaf from the machine

Basicfrenchwhiteloaf001020609.jpg

Now that's nice! :smile:

Waffles you temptress, I might have to divert the Espresso machine funds elsewhere now. :biggrin:

wafflycat

Shaun said:
Anyone for a lovely warm slice of bread and runny butter?

My 11 year old son has just finished making the bread and taken it out of the bread machine a few minutes ago.
3967097882_0f4e850954.jpg

Piece of cake to use, rises every time and tastes absolutely delicious!

I like the machine being programmed to finish in the morning. Waking up to the smell of baking bread in the house is a treat.

Nice one!

wafflycat

stephec said:
Now that's nice! :biggrin:

Waffles you temptress, I might have to divert the Espresso machine funds elsewhere now. :biggrin:

It tasted nice too. :biggrin: The key to successful use of a breadmaker is simple: use it. Keep it out on the worktop, make sure you have supplies of breadflour and dried yeast in. That way it's there, reasy and not a faff to take out of cupboard & put away every time.

wafflycat

Uncle Mort said:
Agreed. I much prefer fresh yeast though. And for bread machines you do need accurate scales.

There is fast-acting dried yeast specifically for breadmachines which works every time and no, you don't need accurate scales for bread machines as you get measuring cup (based on American system IIRC) & spoons with the machine and the recipes in the accompanying book are based on those used for measuring ingredients.

stephec

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
It tasted nice too. :biggrin: The key to successful use of a breadmaker is simple: use it. Keep it out on the worktop, make sure you have supplies of breadflour and dried yeast in. That way it's there, reasy and not a faff to take out of cupboard & put away every time.

There's one thing I can't work out from your photo, is the loaf vertical, like Shaun's photo, or horizontal like a shop bought loaf?

And where's the indentation that's usually left by the mixing paddle?

Top Bottom