Break in...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twiggy

Last night someone broke into the garage and then ripped the (rotting) door off the old lean to bike shed.

My two bike where in there, no space in the other.

My two bikes are still in there, neither of them where locked. But the thieves dug through my cycling kit and pinched my multi tool *blinks* dumped a monkey wrench on the rear rack, then took the tools to the new bike shed, failing to gain entry at all...

needless to say, I'm rather upset about the whole thing. I'm thinking of bringing my bikes inside tonight, since there is no room elsewhere, and locking them up inside.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Need much better security there and best not to leave tools out there that can facilitate a break in to the house ot the bikes.

Have you reported it? Might be worthwhile for the Police to be aware in case they return.

Bring the bikes in. Better safe then sorry.

OP
OP
Twiggy

Twiggy

Night Train said:
Need much better security there and best not to leave tools out there that can facilitate a break in to the house ot the bikes.

Have you reported it? Might be worthwhile for the Police to be aware in case they return.

Bring the bikes in. Better safe then sorry.

The tools where inside the garage and bike shed, they just literally ripped the door off the old shed, which had started to rot through.

It's been reported, and it's been made as secure as I can in a short time.
I might spend a while making a new solid door for the thing before it gets dark. Not sure ATM.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Then go and beef up your security.....keep the bikes in until then.

Did they get in through the garage up and over ? - Most locks on them are rubbish - just like an office drawer key..... my neighbour had his garage done over recently - straight in via the front up and over - fortunately, his 'internal' door was secure and they couldn't get in the house !

My garage has the side door and window barred (so if the glass was broken, they'd not get in) and the door is bolted shut in a number of points. The garage door has two additional locks to stop it being opened. Once inside, best bike is U-Locked to a ground anchor, and the other bikes are locked to wall anchors using just a cable (they can go, but the best one can't).....

Night Train

Maker of Things
Garage up and over doors are too flexible for most locks and can easily be 'popped' open and bent. I used to have a heavy steel beam across the bottom third of the door located in sockets at each end and locked from inside. Bit OTT but effective.

Any doors and frames need to be substantial and in good order to take good locks.

barq

Dave5N said:
Keep yer bikes in the house. I do.

I've had to do that since I had one stolen from the garage.

Anyway, my sympathies, I know how infuriating it is.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
What everyone else has said - keep them in until you improve security.

Hope everything turns out for you Twiggy.

Top Bottom