breakdown recovery - RAC for bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.


Senior Member
I'm looking to get some cover if i have a breakdown while out riding and it's too far to walk home. I'm planning to do the transpennine trail in a few weeks and it seems like good insurance.

Anyway, i'd like to pay monthly and i've seen a scheme that allowed me to do this for about £4 a month but i've lost the leaflet.

Anybody have any suggestions...?

p.s. it would need to allow me to register 2 bikes

Big T

There aren't any schemes that I know of. You could try the Environmental Transport Association (ETA).

It is very rare that a bike will be so broken that you can't repair it enough to limp home, or to the nearest train station or to phone for a lift. Carry a couple of spare tubes, a pump and a multitool and a few spares (brake and gear cable, couple of chain links) and that will usually do you. If not, a bit of creative thought and ingenuity can be employed, like standing on a bent wheel to straighten it or repairing a slashed tyre with handlebar tape.


Legendary Member
can you not ask the AA or RAC if they'll do some sort of a service?

Maybe one of the smaller companies would consider it.....


This is very interesting - I dont have a motor or anyone with access to one and beleive this would be a good idea....:rolleyes: :blush: :biggrin: :sad: :ohmy: :angry: :angry:


Legendary Member
Sounds good, but I'm not sure I'd like a bunch of Separatist Terrorists picking me up, and nor could I be bothered waiting for them to come all the way from Andorra or wherever.....
the ctc do a breakdown cover. i think it's about £30 a year.
but as above ,a couple of cables, cables ties and insulation tape covers most things. a toothpaste tube with both ends cut off is good for gashed tyres


Frogs are people too.
You should be able to get home (carefully) with a broken spoke - may need to take a brake block off. Like the other posters I carry a road repair kit with a backup of Mrs Oldlegs / mobile phone / local taxi number.


Fun sponge
DE4, Derbyshire
Don't know if the small print has changed, but a few years ago I read the RAC terms and conditions (at the time I had no life) and they didn't state you had to be in/on a motorised vehicle (but I haven't tried to get them to mend a bike puncture yet)


ETA do breakdown, I know 'cos shamefully enough I had to invoke it last week :rolleyes::blush:
my back tyre had warped and kept causing punctures and got stranded without any good tubes left

massive, brand new, truck capable of carrying a 10-ton vehicle on the back of it came within about an hour (actually came within a bit sooner but had a bit of trouble finding me) and took me home.
Top Bottom