1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

breakdown recovery - RAC for bikes...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DLB, 4 Aug 2007.

1. DLB

DLB Senior Member

I'm looking to get some cover if i have a breakdown while out riding and it's too far to walk home. I'm planning to do the transpennine trail in a few weeks and it seems like good insurance.

Anyway, i'd like to pay monthly and i've seen a scheme that allowed me to do this for about £4 a month but i've lost the leaflet.

Anybody have any suggestions...?

p.s. it would need to allow me to register 2 bikes

2. Big T

Big T Über Member

There aren't any schemes that I know of. You could try the Environmental Transport Association (ETA).

It is very rare that a bike will be so broken that you can't repair it enough to limp home, or to the nearest train station or to phone for a lift. Carry a couple of spare tubes, a pump and a multitool and a few spares (brake and gear cable, couple of chain links) and that will usually do you. If not, a bit of creative thought and ingenuity can be employed, like standing on a bent wheel to straighten it or repairing a slashed tyre with handlebar tape.

3. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

can you not ask the AA or RAC if they'll do some sort of a service?

Maybe one of the smaller companies would consider it.....

4. yenrod

yenrod Guest

This is very interesting - I dont have a motor or anyone with access to one and beleive this would be a good idea....:rolleyes: :blush: :biggrin: :sad: :ohmy: :angry: :angry:

5. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

A mobile phone and the number of a good taxi company seem the best and cheapest option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. john59

john59 Guru

7. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Sounds good, but I'm not sure I'd like a bunch of Separatist Terrorists picking me up, and nor could I be bothered waiting for them to come all the way from Andorra or wherever.....

8. Brock

Brock Senior Member

chortle!

9. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

the ctc do a breakdown cover. i think it's about £30 a year.
    but as above ,a couple of cables, cables ties and insulation tape covers most things. a toothpaste tube with both ends cut off is good for gashed tyres

10. DLB

DLB Senior Member

thanks john. i knew that somebody did it.

I do normally take kit to repair most things but, as an example, i couldn't repair a broken spoke on the road. i'd need a LBS for that.

Anybody know how good these schemes are? Do you have to wait ages to get picked up etc..?

11. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

You should be able to get home (carefully) with a broken spoke - may need to take a brake block off. Like the other posters I carry a road repair kit with a backup of Mrs Oldlegs / mobile phone / local taxi number.

12. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Up here north of the border, if you use First ScotRail to get to the start of your ride they give you a free rescue. So far I have never had need to use it but nice to know it is there if needed.

13. And

And Too gobby by half

Don't know if the small print has changed, but a few years ago I read the RAC terms and conditions (at the time I had no life) and they didn't state you had to be in/on a motorised vehicle (but I haven't tried to get them to mend a bike puncture yet)
    :rolleyes:

14. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

ETA do breakdown, I know 'cos shamefully enough I had to invoke it last week :rolleyes::blush:
    my back tyre had warped and kept causing punctures and got stranded without any good tubes left

massive, brand new, truck capable of carrying a 10-ton vehicle on the back of it came within about an hour (actually came within a bit sooner but had a bit of trouble finding me) and took me home.

15. DLB

DLB Senior Member

Did they manage to fit your bike on the truck??? ;)