Breakfast...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Emu said:
Both - Porridge before and muesli after. Both with a cup of tea.

If you made up a double batch of muesli and milk, and ate half and put the other half in a suitable sealed bag and carried it in a pocket against your body so it heated up and jiggled about, you could have muesli before and porridge after, with no cooking effort!:smile:

cupoftea

I don't normally have breakfast I don't normally feel I need it, I'm only cycling for 50ish minutes, but at the end of a week I might have a boiled egg before setting off

515mm

The most dramatic personal weight loss I have encountered is the most recent. Two weeks of four days commuting(14 miles each way) per week on a breakfast of half a pint of pure fruit smoothie half an hour before departure. Upon arrival, porridge and protein shake. (My legs don't hurt nearly as much when I use this on cycling days.)

Result?

Half a stone off and a 9% drop in my ride time. The feeling of having so much extra power on the flat, speed and nimbleness (is there such a word?) on the hills is really rather lovely. I'm enjoying myself enormously at the moment. So annoying I have to take the car tomorrow.

Still; what doesn't kill you.........

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
skwerl said:
don't worry. give it a year or two and "recent research" will tell is it's ok to take vitamins again. haven't you noticed how a lot of research, especially nutritional that gets into popular press, cyclically contradicts itself?

Exactly. One minute something is good for you, the next it isn't. Then it is. And then it's not. It's like a medical research pantomime ("Oh no it isn't ! Oh yes it is !") I'll take my chances on this one. Since I started taking zinc my every-two-months-get-a-filthy-cold routine has stopped. And that started to happen long before I cycled. Maybe it could be psychosomatic, but I'm not going to go back to those days again.

And my garlic tabs are appreciated by those who didn't find my previous love of heavy garlic use in my cooking very pleasant. Now I still get the garlic in the system without having to use it so often in my cooking !

515mm said:
The most dramatic personal weight loss I have encountered is the most recent. Two weeks of four days commuting(14 miles each way) per week on a breakfast of half a pint of pure fruit smoothie half an hour before departure. Upon arrival, porridge and protein shake. (My legs don't hurt nearly as much when I use this on cycling days.)

What do you eat for lunch?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Dinner tends to be couscous, with whatever I have fetched to throw in, chicken, cheese, whatever

515mm

@Stu20001

Jacket spud with tuna or cottage cheese or occasionally with Stagg low fat chilli(nice!) If I can be bothered with the faff, a huge salad with couscous or brown rice and leftover chicken or pork.

I arrive in work at about 8.30 and have breakfast as discussed/get changed etc. I start work at 9.30 which gives me plenty of time. Lunch will then be about 11.30. At 2.30/3pm I'm peckish again so I'll have a banana and a handful of nuts - ;)

We knock off at 5.30 (which is time to eat again!) so I use a sports drink for the way home (GO electrolyte) When I get in, choccy EAS protein shake/shower/change/prepare dinner of meat with enormous quantities of vegetables - no carbs though.

Hope this helps

Joe

Über Member
Porridge and coffee before I leave, then a breakfast bar type thing (or similar) when I get in.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Joe said:
a breakfast bar type thing (or similar) when I get in.

I've always got some of these in the drawer 'just in case'. Not too imaginative regarding choice tho'
Went for possibly the original - 'Tracker', nut version, not the chocolate.

Top Bottom