Breaking a chain nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbo891

im having a real ball ache trying to split a chain! I've broke two chain tools now. The pin just won't come out.

The chain in question is a Kmc 8.93 (8 speed). This chain shortened no bother when new but 2 months on I can't remove a pin. I've done a few in the past no bother but I'm now starting to question my methods but it looks spot on and I've not changed anytiing. It's driven me mad! Help

Citius

Does it not have a joining link?

OP
OP
R

robbo891

It does mate yes but I'm trying to take out a few links as one was damaged at the weekend. As I had spare chain left over after shortening it my plan was to replace these links with the new bit I had saved. Then things went wrong lol

OP
OP
R

robbo891

I did consider that but I was thinking the problem was the tool so was looking for a new tool. Will just have to buy both I think

spiderman2

Über Member
Just get a new chain. If it's been damaged it's safer to replace. The 8-93 chains aren't expensive. Many chains don't rejoin well other than with a quick link.

I replaced a few links in my chain and very shortly after it snapped.I was told you cant rejoin these links once removed

Davidc

Guru
If you're breaking the tools it's probably cheaper to get a new chain. You can always cut the plates through to get the old chain off.

FWIW I changed chains, like for like the type you're using, last week and broke the old one with no problem, so perhaps it's the individual chain you're using. I did the cassette at the same time and that was a bu99er owing to a cross-threaded lock ring - another story.

I've rejoined a few chains up to 8 speed size using their pins and not had a problem, but if I have a quick link or similar it's quicker and easier to put one in and just have a chain with 2 of them in it. The KMC and SRAM ones seem very robust. The manufacturers recommend not rejoining modern chains by reinsertion of the pins.

8-speed chains can be rejoined, the plates are not damaged when the old pin is pushed out. However, depending on the peening style on the pin, it may or may not be reusable.

Reusable pins are the ones with two horizontal lines of peening and the non-reusable ones have a peen right round and the pin looks like a circle in a circle.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I have a huge YBN chain tool for use at home, it is particularly good for single speed and fixed wheel chains, as they are often more difficult to split. My small, light weight chain tool is for emergency on the road use only.

I didn't pay as much as this for mine though.
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/423/upg_ybn_ctool/ybn-single-speed-heavy-duty-chain-tool.html

There are only two ways to break a decent chain tool.

1) Is to break the tool's pin due to poor to rivet alignment
2) Is to seize the threads on the tool due to not oiling the threads

Both are easily avoided.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
There are only two ways to break a decent chain tool.

1) Is to break the tool's pin due to poor to rivet alignment
2) Is to seize the threads on the tool due to not oiling the threads

Both are easily avoided.

Of course the important word in the above statement is decent. There are numerous poor quality chain tools on the market, the worst of which will probably break before they ever break a chain and others which can almost be regarded as single use items.
A light weight tool or multi tool for on the road should be reserved for that use only and a more substantial tool kept at home for when required.
This brute of a tool is really quite large and very much a heavy duty tool. Not a well known quality name - but a good tool.
Screenshot_2015-07-14-09-57-33.png

OP
OP
R

robbo891

Let me add a bit more to this........

The chain in question has been thoroughly cleaned and left for 5mins in white spirit as my plan was to clean, fix, install and relube.
as the chain is now stripped of any lubrication, would this alter anything in terms of removing the pin?

regardless i am going to buy a new chain anyway (KMC) as they are only a few quid and will pick up a new chain tool.

I think a good point was made about the tools been fit for emergency use (a few times) and having one for home use. Also i never applied any grease whatsoever to these tools so lesson learned there.

I think i will go for a park tool one next time or KMCs own

cheers for the input guys, great help and i will post an update on the new chain/tools

OP
OP
R

robbo891

8-speed chains can be rejoined, the plates are not damaged when the old pin is pushed out. However, depending on the peening style on the pin, it may or may not be reusable.

Reusable pins are the ones with two horizontal lines of peening and the non-reusable ones have a peen right round and the pin looks like a circle in a circle.

The pins in question are circle in a circle and yes they cannot be reused as the peen splits.

The chain in question has been thoroughly cleaned and left for 5mins in white spirit as my plan was to clean, fix, install and relube.
as the chain is now stripped of any lubrication, would this alter anything in terms of removing the pin?

Although lubrication helps whenever metal slides on metal, it doesn't really help with tight press-fits like chain pins, so the fault was not there but elsewhere.

A chain pin seldom (actually never) requires brute force. Once you are sure that the tool's pin is exactly centered on the chain's pin and that the chain is properly positioned (some tools allow you to clamp it in place like the one pictured the Proves post), there is little that can go wrong. Yes, the first few incremental turns are hard but once the peen pops off, it is easy. The thread has to be oiled each time you use the tool (if there is no visible oil on there) and you have to make sure the chain is pushing against the fat anvil in the tool, not on one of the narrow prongs sans real purpose other than to break off.

OP
OP
R

robbo891

Well glad to report all sorted now! popped to my LBS and picked up a KMC 8 Speed Z Chain £8.99. Noticed straight away the pins are different. there is no lip or circle in circle. They just look a sold straight pin.
Measured the chain and placed it in my chain tool. The pin popped out no bother whatsoever. Turns out my tool isn't broke either it must of been the chain and that it was super strong (KMC X8.93).
So in future im sticking with the Z chains as it was doddle to break. Not as pretty as the .93 in that its all silver but I will settle for the silver/grey look.

Lessons learned and i hope this may help others!

Top Bottom