Breaking in Brooks B17 Imperial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajocius

I have bought Brooks B17 Imperial for my Fuji touring bike and would like to break in before taking it on a trip. Have read recommendations to reach 1000 km to make it fully fit. Right now it is winter in Norway, so I do cycle home using my road bike on Tacx trainer. Would it make sense for me to put B17 on my road bike and try to break in inside? Or is it bad idea since touring bike has likely different geometry?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
they're all different, some will 'break in' fast others not so easily, just give it a proofide before riding.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I put my B17 on the bike that is on the turbo trainer and am breaking it in there. Having said that I have a C17 on my Brommie and prefer that, it’s been comfortable from the off.

alicat

Legendary Member
In your shoes, I'd put the B17 on the road bike and get your bottom used to it on that. You're breaking in both the saddle and your bottom.. Any difference in geometry will get sorted out before your first long trip.

By the way, I've never heard about it needing 100km to get used to a Brooks. Some shapes have been pretty comfortable straight away and others still feel hard after umpteen years.

Top Bottom