Breathing mask

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-masks-and-the-shocking-results/ recommends the totobobo and the comments may have other ideas.

@afl2 @sight-pin @dusty605 @numbnuts of this parish might have advice.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We'd love to have the OP, just don't come to Glasgow, where we've breached the WHO air pollution safety levels. Again.

Two months ago we were issued with a final warning from the European Commission for failing to address repeated breaches of air pollution limits.
Hope Street, which is the main route for public transport out to the south of the city, was found to have 65 microgrammes of nitrogen dioxide per cubic metre, when the limit is 40.

We've also breached the limits for particulate matter PM10 and PM2.5.

sight-pin

Veteran
I don't think my lungs could cope with the air restriction of a mask as i'm out of breath most times whilst riding, always feeling i need to ride opened mouth or i gasp for breath.

IMG_4087.JPG

simon.r

Person
What a sad state of affairs when this question has to be asked.

The opposite is true for particulates.

Fast breathing means air is in the lungs for less time and hence deposition is less

So it is a dual edged sword

I remember when these first came out and there was some controversy over their effectiveness. Being neoprene they are hot and sweaty, and the effectiveness of the filters was (IIRC) such that they required changing every few months

They do restrict breathing, but this will depend onto model and the types of filter used.

Some found that a "bandit scarf" was more comfortable than a formal mask. Respro were the market leaders and innovators at that time

The recommendation in those days was move a few feet!

It was reckoned that taking a parallel route to a main road could reduce your exposure in a similar way to the masks

[QUOTE 4753736, member: 9609"]I have heard this before and I think it is the biggest load of nonsense ever, the more deeply you breath and the more breathing you do the more exposure you are having to the pollutants. What next - smoking is fine providing you are running up hill ?[/QUOTE]

Leaving aside the stupid analogy......

It is the case that the longer the air is in. the lung th greater the deposition.

We do a ventilation scan for pulmonary embolism.

Slow breaths and the deposition in the lungs increases, fast and it slows

A held breath for a few seconds achieves the greatest deposition

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have sat in traffic jams in filthy African cities for the last 35 years breathing greasy black diesel smoke from trucks and buses. I trust that Nature's natural cleansing keeps my lungs clear. I certainly don't have any symptoms of any problems.

Top Bottom