Breathing mask

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4753787, member: 9609"]The more pollution you breathe the more chance it has of getting into your body and causing damage. In any case it is probably not the larger particles that is doing the most harm, its the small nano sized stuff that is doing the greatest damage. As I said earlier, removing the larger particles with DPFs etc may make the air look cleaner, but is there any less of the highly damaging minute (less than pm2.5) stuff. Is the clean looking air any safer.

Anyway the official advice seems to be to stay indoors and exercise less during times of high pollution. I am yet to see any official advise that tells you to exercise more when the air is heavy with toxins.

here is some advice saying to skip the run today and avoid the busy roads
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-in-londons-air-pollution-cloud-10166913.html
it doesnt say breathe it in and out as fast as possible as it will some how miraculously not stick.

[/QUOTE]

As pointed out it is a double edged sword what benefits with one type of pollution is different for others

But none of your post alters the fact that the level of deposition of particulates is lowered with faster breathing

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4753736, member: 9609"]I have heard this before and I think it is the biggest load of nonsense ever, the more deeply you breath and the more breathing you do the more exposure you are having to the pollutants. What next - smoking is fine providing you are running up hill ?[/QUOTE]
If you're walking the same distance through it, as you would be cycling, which would have you in the affected area longer?

As for running uphill whilst smoking, would you ever face into the wind whilst doing so? Purely observational, but they don't seem to last as long that way. So you'd end up "smoking" more in the same time, or make do with less.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4753787, member: 9609"]
Anyway the official advice seems to be to stay indoors and exercise less during times of high pollution.[/QUOTE]
The official advice from our backwards government, anyway. Cleverer places tell the polluters to knock it off for a bit and stop driving unless they must.

Also, I think I've read other stuff saying a held breath increases depositing. After all, inhaler instructions say to hold your breath so you get a good dose of the drug.

freiston

Veteran
mjr said:
...inhaler instructions say to hold your breath so you get a good dose of the drug.
This is what I was going to say. As an inhaler user of many decades, I can confirm that the effectiveness of the inhaled medicine is much higher when the breath is held in for a few seconds than it is when the breath is exhaled immediately.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The very high headline levels of pollution are often very localised.
I'd suggest that a back roads route, avoiding roads that took a lot of traffic as much as possible, would be best, even if it is further and slower.

Top Bottom