breathing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

double0jedi

I'm after a little advice. When I come to a short steep hill, no matter how I attack it, be it in a low gear with lots of cycles ( cadence?) or standing on the pedals. When I get to the top I can be seriously out of breath. I don't just mean puffing a bit I mean that sometimes it feels like I can't draw breath fast enough. It can sometimes be quite painful and a bit worrying to be honest.
Is this something that will improve with fitness ( I'm not in shape at all) or am I doing something wrong?
Is there a breathing technique that would help?

Do you feel like you can not breath out?

I ask because what you are describing sounds like asthma to me and I think you really need to speak with your GP and soon.
Asthma kills something like 3-4 people every day.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd say fitness. I can get the same at the top of a hill. I'm unfit, overweight and don't have asthma. However, if concerned see a doctor

I assume you don't smoke? If so, stop

J1888

Über Member
As above, probably worth seeing your GP first - they'll probably get you to breathe into a long cardboard tube and perhaps do other lung function test etc.

Probably just a fitness thing, but best get checked out :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Are you playing catchup ?
Do you attack the hill, then respond as your body calls for more oxygen...ie too late.
Or do you prepare by increasing breathing before you start and therefor increase your blood oxygen levels in readiness for the attack.
Perhaps someone will tell me its a load of rubbish, but I prepare, get oxygenated...this applies to short hills that you can sprint up, maybe 1/2 mile in length.

Citius

Do you attack the hill, then respond as your body calls for more oxygen...ie too late.
Or do you prepare by increasing breathing before you start and therefor increase your blood oxygen levels in readiness for the attack.
Perhaps someone will tell me its a load of rubbish, but I prepare, get oxygenated...this applies to short hills that you can sprint up, maybe 1/2 mile in length.

Are there any cardio/pulmonary consultants on the forum? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

Also - you 'sprint' half a mile? Up a hill?

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

Thanks for all the replies.
I have no problem breathing out, it just feels like some times I can't pull in enough breath. On my way home today I tried smaller shallow breaths and that seemed to help. I have lost weight but am still 18 stone so I think it is just a fitness thin.
Will try to pull back a little on thrills and maybe try them a little gentler.

gbb

Legendary Member
Are there any cardio/pulmonary consultants on the forum? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

Also - you 'sprint' half a mile? Up a hill?
Well I used to...ive been off the bike due to health reasons for a couple years, but...I used to up my average speed on say 50 mile rides by really attacking hills then recover once over the top. It works.
As said in my post, it may be rubbish (increasing breathing before attqcking)...I accept that, but equally, I know it feels like it helps. Thats all I need to know.
Sprinting is just a word that may have differing meaning to different people. Attack a hill, give it 100%......that is as good as sprinting in my book. Regain breath by easing off once over the top.
1/2 mile ?..yeah I guess that would be a bit much...but anyway, 1/4mile no problem.
If onlyi had that fitness now :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Now I am not sure how tall you are, but that is a lot of weight to get up any hill, so I would say that is a major problem. Keep at it and get the diet sorted and it will get faster, not always easier.

For any 11 stone person not knowing what that feels like put 2 x 5 gallon containers of water on your back and cycle up hill.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Or do you prepare by increasing breathing before you
start and therefor increase your blood oxygen levels in readiness for the attack.

This would have limited benefit and what there is would be very short term. Hyperventilating is not a good thing to do.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Get checked by a GP but I suspect it's down to the weight. Don't underestimate how much more difficult it is to climb if you're heavy. Try to do all you can to lose some. It will feel like somebody has taken the brakes off, particularly on hills.

Top Bottom