Brian Robinson Challenge - Entries Closing Soon!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ceedee

Svendo said:
The ride is a mass start at 9.00am, and is self timed (look at the time when you finish, using the 24hour clock, then subtract 9 from the hours figure and there you are :biggrin:.)

Pretty advanced stuff then ! Cheers.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ceedee said:
Just a thought, I haven't seen any mention of timing the ride or seen any results from previous years. What method do they use if any or what did they use last year?
I'll use my GPS tracklog. Not that I need to... Finishing position: near enough last; average speed: slow!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A couple of forecasts are suggesting 8-10 mph headwinds for Holme Moss. Gusting crosswinds on the descent to Woodhead really worry me - I almost got blown off that road once. Perhaps I won't do 55 mph down there this time... :biggrin:

That reminds me - my back brake blocks need changing! I also need to check my rear bearings - there's a lot of play in the wheel.

I developed backache on the Kirklees event in 2008 and on the BRC in 2009 but this year I have it before even setting off (that'll teach me to pick up a tumble dryer and walk about with it!). I've also been fighting off a cold for the past couple of days so I've a feeling that tomorrow could turn out to be a 111 mile sufferfest for me! I'll be satisfied if I can just get round quicker than last year (7 hrs 15 mins for the BRC itself :blush:) and limp home in one piece afterwards.

At least I shouldn't have any trouble sleeping tomorrow night!

Svendo

Guru
I've just been out today over Nont Sarah's (A640) from Huddersfield and it was a fairly stiff cross headwind from just west of south, i.e. a pretty much direct headwind for Wessenden Head and Holme Moss. And the met office reckons the wind is going to veer from southerly to westerly tomorrow so it'll be a direct head wind for Nont Sarah's too!
Other than the wind the weather was lovely today, saw a deer run across the road just in front of me and off through the fields when I'd stopped here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...oid=DEooicw8FTL4hPspxrCXEg&cbp=12,119.38,,0,5.

Ceedee

aJohnson said:
:biggrin: Not a fan of headwinds, guess the plan is to get on somebodies wheel and stay there.

Im behind you all the way with that idea. :ohmy:

Good luck tomorrow Colin, im glad I haven't got an extra 35 miles.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I didn't mind the headwind on the A640 on last year's BRC though a lot of people complained about it. Being big and heavy I can cope with it a lot better than steep hills.

Headwinds and steep hills I don't like one little bit so I'm concerned about the WH and HM climbs tomorrow!

Good luck tomorrow lads. If anybody decides that want a really leisurely ride round at about 7 hour pace, why not join me at the back!

aJohnson

I hate any wind apart from tailwind, head wind seems to knacker me out. I have no idea what pace I'm going to do, just going to go at a comfortable speed for me, I'll probably be extremely slow on the descents if there's wind though. Should be a good ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

DNS! :biggrin:

I've been feeling rough for days and wondering whether it would really be sensible for me to tackle this ride. Eventually, I did a run-up-and-down the stairs test and that told me all I needed to know... Heart rate way too high, temperature up, wheezing, swollen glands in throat, legs wobbly. Yep - I'm poorly!

To cap it all, I met one of my mates yesterday and he had a really bad throat/chest infection. He could barely talk and is on heavy duty antibiotics. I don't fancy ending up like him so I've decided to give myself another week off the bike and hope to be okay for my forum ride next Sunday.

Anyway, enough about my woes... How did it go for you fellows? It's pretty windy here today so I imagine that you might have had a few problems on the big hills.

PS Yikes, the weather has suddenly turned really nasty here - the rain is absolutely hammering down. I would have been out for another 3 hours or so in this so I reckon that I made the right decision! ;) Most of you will probably have already finished so with a bit of luck you'll have missed the rain.

Top Bottom