Brian Robinson Challenge - Entries Closing Soon!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
I'm back home, 5'10 for the ride, 12 minuted faster than last year. Wet at the start but nothing more than spitting while out on the course. I got changed in the car park after and went for a cup of coffee and on the way back to the car got thoroughly soaked in a torrential downpour, I really felt for those still out on the ride. I drove home to Rochdale over the A640, and saw a group I think were back markers being shepherded by bicycle marshalls (who looked like they were from a CTC group and had experienced tourer type bikes).
I also thought I saw AJohnson waiting by the road in Denshaw, but he had his face covered with a buff so I wasn't sure. I had a good day, and was very glad I'd borrowed a car and didn't have to ride home in the rain and puddles.

Ceedee

4.59 for the ride. I think we were very lucky with the weather, the wind was ok on the climbs as well. Unlucky Colin you missed a good day, I was happy to see that last marshall at the rugby club though.

aJohnson

Svendo that would be me :laugh: I was very cold so put my buff on.

Started a bit late due to getting lost then a p*&#*#@e near enough straight away. Did Holme Moss and the other climb ok, found the climb before Holme Moss the hardest due to the head wind. About 57miles in it started raining like crazy which is when I put my buff on and started to freeze :biggrin: then 4miles later I ended up falling on a corner and injuring my knee so got picked up. Knee feels a bit numb at the moment.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good times Svendo and Ceedee. Hard luck aJ - I'm glad you weren't badly hurt.

There were a couple of nasty crashes down by the reservoirs on the descent off Buckstones in the Kirklees Sportive in 2008. I think one rider broke his leg going over a dry stone wall. (That must have been a major miscalculation! :laugh: )

I'm so glad that I didn't go! I reckon I'd have taken over 7 hours even if I wasn't ill so I'd have got soaked and very cold.

I must say - I'm starting to get a bit fed up of being overweight and slow on hilly rides like that. I must make more of an effort to get properly fit again. My legs feel pretty strong so I've got a decent amount of power. It's the weight aspect of the power-to-weight ratio that let's me down.

Svendo

Guru
Svendo said:
I drove home to Rochdale over the A640, and saw a group I think were back markers being shepherded by bicycle marshalls (who looked like they were from a CTC group and had experienced tourer type bikes).

These kind and honourable people were in fact KBUG, link: http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/transport/kbug/kbug.asp

Also from Bike Radar, photos and videos are here: http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/portfolio94710p12.html

I'm on the second video, 24 seconds to 39 seconds, second in the line, flashing a v-for-victory. Pretty sure this is the stretch on Holme Moss just after the last hair pin. Definitely the first leg as I took my rain jacket off at the first feed.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chrisc said:
Just watching the second video. Check the good Samaritan at 2.05 in. ;)
Ho ho - embarrassing!

I did the Good Samaritan thing when I rode Pain in the Pennines 3 years ago. I came hurtling down a steep hill at about 50 mph and saw a lump in the road ahead. I thought that it was a pile of manure and swerved round it but as I did so I saw that it was a jacket in a little stuff-sack. I continued down the hill but then my conscience got the better of me so I turned round, climbed back up the hill and picked up the jacket. I carried it round to the first feed station and handed it in.

When I enquired about the jacket at the finish I was told that a very happy woman had claimed it. She'd bought it the day before the event for about £70 (I think?) and had been really upset when she discovered that it had fallen out of her back pocket somewhere on the ride.

Ceedee

Chrisc said:
Just watching the second video. Check the good Samaritan at 2.05 in. ;)

Thats got to be one for you've been framed!

Top Bottom