Bricklayers and those in the know. How much to repair this wall, please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hello all,

I am gathering quotes to have my garden wall repaired. There are two sides to it with the entrance to the drive in between, pics are below. Basically, I need the two sides squared up with a pier at the end of each of them. How much do you reckon? Also, how much do you think that repointing would cost?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Doesn't it all need rebuilding?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I don’t think you will find many who would want to repair that , any repair would stand out terribly , never be a strong job and if repointed there is potential for it to look a right mess - wouldn’t cost much more to have a new wall especially if it’s ok to go off the old footing

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

OK, chaps - that's fair enough if that's what you both think. Sure enough, the old wall would need some jet washing and TLC to look anything like the repair! How much do you reckon then, very roughly?

Thanks.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Guessing you want about 350 bricks
Just under half tonne sand
3 bags cement and a builder for a day
Don’t know how much that is around your way
If you live in London it’s about one kidney

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I am in Essex, but only about 15 miles from London, so how much do you reckon that will be? A range will do, wont hold you to it or anything, just don't want to get stitched up.

Many thanks.

screenman

Legendary Member
If somebody around these parts said £750 I would be happy. If they said £1,000 I may look for another quote. That would include taking away the old brick and rubbish.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

If somebody around these parts said £750 I would be happy. If they said £1,000 I may look for another quote. That would include taking away the old brick and rubbish.
Thanks, are you Leytonstone way?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It’s difficult to know exactly what you need done from your thread, but guessing from what you say, that’s not more than a day’s work. Work out in square meters what you have and do a search on the internet and you will get a good idea. Price in disposal. Materials won’t cost much. If the wall has gone and it needs more than pointing then maybe a bit longer. Even though I’m a bit rusty, that wouldn’t take me more than a day and a half to knock down, rebuild and cart away the old masonry. Some don’t mind, but I never liked rebuilding walls using the old brick. Getting all the old snots off is more trouble than it is worth.

If you do get someone in, don’t do it if frost or a freeze in imminent.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

It’s difficult to know exactly what you need done from your thread, but guessing from what you say, that’s not more than a day’s work. Work out in square meters what you have and do a search on the internet and you will get a good idea. Price in disposal. Materials won’t cost much. If the wall has gone and it needs more than pointing then maybe a bit longer. Even though I’m a bit rusty, that wouldn’t take me more than a day and a half to knock down, rebuild and cart away the old masonry. Some don’t mind, but I never liked rebuilding walls using the old brick. Getting all the old snots off is more trouble than it is worth.

If you do get someone in, don’t do it if frost or a freeze in imminent.
Good advice and thanks!

Basically, the repair I had in mind would be that pic 1 would need the bit that angles inwards knocked down and then a pier added at the end of the wall. Pic 2 would need the angled bit rebuilt so it was at the same height as the rest of the wall and then a pier added. I will have a search, thanks.
Easy repair but obviously wont match up.

£350- 400, 4-5 hrs work for a brickie,
Nice, one - thanks for that, although probably I will go with a rebuild so that it all matches.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Good advice and thanks!

Basically, the repair I had in mind would be that pic 1 would need the bit that angles inwards knocked down and then a pier added at the end of the wall. Pic 2 would need the angled bit rebuilt so it was at the same height as the rest of the wall and then a pier added. I will have a search, thanks.
Nice, one - thanks for that, although probably I will go with a rebuild so that it all matches.

If its a rebuild, i think i charged about £50-£75 m2 for 4" wall but all depends on what bricks.
But a row of engineering brick and a capping stone would be ok.
Couple of mini piers so you have 9" supports every 1.5 liner metres with the end pier being 12" or 15".
There will be a little extra cost for coping stones.

Get a couple of quotes.

Edit,
You will have to factor removal of old wall, area you live in as that will all add to cost.
Skip or recycle can save you loads ect.

My rough guide is for the wall only:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom