Bridleway Obstructions

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

The straw bales are [very] temporary obstructions that are easy to circumvent and not the PRoW dept worth bothering about . Of more concern should be the fact that that the line of the BW has not been cleared of crops to the width of 2m, as the land owner/manager is required to do by law (RoW act 1990).

The presence of motorbikes on BW is for plod to sort out (under the Road Traffic act) not PROW dept. Plod normally have no idea that this falls squarely in their lap, and need constant reminding. However, the obstruction on the bridge is for the Highways Authority to enforce. Why has it been closed for 3 weeks? I assume the have an emergency TTRO (Temp Traffic Regulation Order) in place to do so? If not the HA have compounded an illegal obstruction with an illegal closure. The removal of an obstruction is enforceable and could be done in a few days, so I suspect the TTRO is due to the bridge being in dangerous condition. It certainly looks like it.

BTW, an emergency TTRO can be up to 21 days, and then depending on the issue can be followed by a further 21 days to give time for a 6 months closure (by Order) or they could go straight to the the 6 monther

Tiger10

Über Member
OMG ..... what a lot of conspiracy theorists you are.

Square bales are formed and dropped continually on the go without stopping and I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of trying to line up bales as such a minor obstacle, certainly not most of the young guns doing contract baling which it mainly is nowadays that a baler is in the 80k price range plus tractor on top.

2nd pic i would ask whether it really is a bridleway or an ordinary footpath, that is the usual mistake. If it is a bridleway he is breaking the law although he must have had provocation first to warrant such a waste of time and money .

3rd Drago the stack may have been put in the way by an awkward farmer (they do exist just like all other walks of life) however if it was his straw it would very likely gone straight in a shed, not handled twice. It's much more likely a contractor bought the straw off the field baled it in squares because they are preferred for stacking on lorries and stacked it ready for pickup without thinking about footpaths and arsonists. It would then go to a power station most likely or for bedding on other farms. I am surprised at you drago with your x police background that you jump to conclusions so readily.

Farming is usually the scapegoat but it is disappointing that a forum for a mode of transport that is so reviled does not have more tolerance itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
The one I was referring to, the entire farm is run by contractors on behalf of the owning family. Funnily enough this year the wall of bales was built about 30 metres to the NE, thus not blocking any RoW.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

OMG ..... what a lot of conspiracy theorists you are.
Not in the slightest, well not in this subject, now if it was the fake moon landings :laugh:
Square bales are formed and dropped continually on the go without stopping and I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of trying to line up bales as such a minor obstacle, certainly not most of the young guns doing contract baling which it mainly is nowadays that a baler is in the 80k price range plus tractor on top.
Yes, it was posted more in fun than anything, but it was bizzare how they managed to get so many to block a footpath which was running diagonally across a field
2nd pic i would ask whether it really is a bridleway or an ordinary footpath, that is the usual mistake. If it is a bridleway he is breaking the law although he must have had provocation first to warrant such a waste of time and money .
Yes it is this is an image from https://www.rowmaps.com

Farming is usually the scapegoat but it is disappointing that a forum for a mode of transport that is so reviled does not have more tolerance itself.
Because it is usually farmers that blocks the RoW, or if not blocking it makes it as difficult as possible to navigate.

classic33

Leg End Member
The one I was referring to, the entire farm is run by contractors on behalf of the owning family. Funnily enough this year the wall of bales was built about 30 metres to the NE, thus not blocking any RoW.
A lot can depend on which way the field was bailed. Going round the field can result in regular dropping points for bails, in a line. Often those doing the bailing will pick the "drop spots" based on the simple fact that the ground is more suitable, higher with water run-off with the advantage of firmer ground should it rain.

If they're to be wrapped, the "dropping spot" chosen by the bailer, makes pick up by the wrapper easier & quicker. And as you pointed out, time is money to them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Alas, Mr O'Classic, your faith in human nature is misplaced. There was no doubt from the precise positioning that it had been done to obstruct the RoW and prevent any access around the sides.

classic33

Leg End Member
Alas, Mr O'Classic, your faith in human nature is misplaced. There was no doubt from the precise positioning that it had been done to obstruct the RoW and prevent any access around the sides.
Based the "dropping" of the bales on having actually being involved in doing it, bailing!

With PROW's usually being harder/dryer ground. They make an ideal place to "drop" on purpose, for picking up later.

I'm not making excuses for those who deliberatly block PROW's. As in the example posted by ColinJ, where it was hoped it would go un-noticed. It didn't, and the dog bit someone using the PROW. Likened to putting a bull in a field.

Cavalol

Guru
Ahh bless, those poor little hard done to farmers being 'scape goats' hey?

Locally there's one bridleway that's always mysteriously blocked, ram full of cow sh*t and/or not maintained. The first time I used it the farmer sent me packing and a neighbour overheard and said he was known for it, and that there's nothing he could legitimately do to stop people using it. Once I knew that I was back once a week to annoy him. Not ridden the other ones for a couple of years now, really must get out and try them, though quite often they're 'strangely' blocked.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It would be like that scene from 4 lions if I did that :laugh:

De-martyr it :laugh:... Excellent film

Drago

Legendary Member
Based the "dropping" of the bales on having actually being involved in doing it, bailing!

With PROW's usually being harder/dryer ground. They make an ideal place to "drop" on purpose, for picking up later.

I'm not making excuses for those who deliberatly block PROW's. As in the example posted by ColinJ, where it was hoped it would go un-noticed. It didn't, and the dog bit someone using the PROW. Likened to putting a bull in a field.
No buddy, the bales had been removed from the field and taken to a tarmac'd farm lane adjacent. There they were stacked across a bridleway with the ends of the wall making contact with a sheep pen on one side and a hedgerow on the other. A brickie couldn't have sealed it up better. As aforementioned, it clearly upset someone and caught fire a couple of days later. It could have been struck by lightning, but that seems unlikely.

In subsequent years they've been stacked on the same lane, bit about 30 metres further NE.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Out today & just about to turn down a bridleway to go through the farmyard when I noticed the water sprayers, the one on the right was spraying water over the bridleway. I stopped to work out when it was safe to go down the lane when they suddenly stopped spraying, must have been coincidence unless I was spied taking the photo.

classic33

Leg End Member
Out today & just about to turn down a bridleway to go through the farmyard when I noticed the water sprayers, the one on the right was spraying water over the bridleway. I stopped to work out when it was safe to go down the lane when they suddenly stopped spraying, must have been coincidence unless I was spied taking the photo.

View attachment 489431
Still constitutes a hazard/blocking of a PROW, report it to your PROW team/officer.

Top Bottom