Brighton with the old cars - Sunday November 4 - honk honk wizz bang wheeze!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was not fun!
Left at 05:30 got to Wellington Arch at 06:30 realised I was at Marble Arch so cycled to the right place.
Couldn't see any one there :-(
Cycled to Brighton on my todd rained the whole way.
I have never been so cold since I was in the army.
My hands and feet were unbelievable cold, my little fingers and the one next to them are sort of pins and needley still when you touch them!
Saw loads of people on their roadies blasting past me might have been a few CCers?
I was not ready for this ride kit and fitness wise!
What do you lot use to keep you pinkies and tootsies warm in the wet?
Bravo!!!

Tim Hall

That was not fun!

I had Gore Bike wear gloves and Endura MT500 overshoes. Both suffer from the same problem as all gloves and shoes in that there's a great big hole where your hand or foot goes in, providing an ideal path for water to get in. With the gloves I make sure the sleeves of my waterproof overlap the cuffs of the gloves so the rain can't get in. There's a huge amount of water that runs off your sleeves in a glove-ward direction when your hands are on your handlebars. Overshoes area different matter, as I don't have waterproof over trousers, to therain that runs down my legs will get into the over shoes. The idea is that being made of neoprene you can warm the water up, he said hopefully. My toes stayed warm, but when I got home my socks were soaking.

defy-one

Top tip i picked up and used today ..... Freezer bag over the front end of my shoes,then put the neoprene overshoes on.
My feet stayed warm and dry for the majority of the ride

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The best thing is a pair of Buffalo mittens, which get wet but stay warm even in gale force winds and snow. Sealskinz mittens if available might be good, I doubt it though.
Ex-army gloves from Afghanistan are the very best gloves money can buy, get a pair slightly too big, they stay warm even when they are so wet you can wring the wayer out of them, which is what I discovered on Saturday morning. Ebay is the place, about a tenner the price. On the FNRttC trip to John o Groats they were nicknamed The Magic Gloves Of War.
Sealskin socks, neoprene overshoes, but my feet turn to stone and hurt all the time at quite reasonable temperatures.

Also, Rainlegs are very good, about £25 I think, from the Netherlands. A bit like the chaps cowboys wore on their legs in the rainy scenes in films, you don't get the 'boil in the bag' sensation and the rain is kept off the tops of your legs. Also light to carry, and fold up into a clever belt thing that you can keep around your waist and not notice while cycling.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm in London tomorrow being a participant in some cycling-related research, and the experimenters requested no strenuous exercise in the previous 24 hours (because of possible effects on some blood tests etc).
I am suprised to see that, I would have thought you did not meet the age criteria, as you need to be older than 55.

The bit where they take a piece of your muscle out doesn't hurt much. You only get to feel a small prick.

IGMC

wanda2010

Guru
That was not fun!
Left at 05:30 got to Wellington Arch at 06:30 realised I was at Marble Arch so cycled to the right place.
Couldn't see any one there :-(
Cycled to Brighton on my todd rained the whole way.
I have never been so cold since I was in the army.
My hands and feet were unbelievable cold, my little fingers and the one next to them are sort of pins and needley still when you touch them!
Saw loads of people on their roadies blasting past me might have been a few CCers?
I was not ready for this ride kit and fitness wise!

RS, glad you made the whole journey but sorry to have missed you. I was on Westminster Bridge just before 7am til 7.25 when I met up with GordonP and his son. I did see a few single cyclists whilst I was on the bridge but could'nt remember what bike you would be riding and my fingers were too cold to check the phone.

I have circulation problems so I have a variety of gloves and generally use two, one of which is a thin pair used as liners. My ultimate gloves are heated ones which I should have used this morning but thought I'd be ok. Idiot. I also wore my overshoes and Altura rain pants and a jacket with un-waterproofed sleeves so I was sodden underneath :rolleyes: Socks are wollen ones or two pairs of regulars.

Top Bottom