Bristol - Bordeaux.,...we are off !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

velo4u

Hi all, hope everyone is well.
I am off from Bristol to Bordeaux this summer, over about 4/5 days.
Will be cycling from here to Pompey and getting the overnight boat to St Malo.
Does anyone have any experience of cycling from St Malo down to the South West of France ? Would ideally like to go to stop on the way down.
I have heard that there area lot of cycle tracks around La Rochelle, but I cannot seem to find much about them on the net.
Not sure what the roads are like either - ie busy etc.

If anyone has any tips, hints, places to stay, routes or just any general info on that part of the world, anything would be great.

Thanks

Chris

ASC1951

Guru
I've cycled from Cherbourg down to the Pyrenees, generally keeping reasonably close to the coast. The roads weren't particularly quiet and twenty years later they will be a fair bit busier.

If you are doing it in 4-5 days from Bristol you're not going to have time to keep twiddling about finding back roads. You'll be doing back to back 100s won't you?

yello

Which month? August in France is holiday season and the Atlantic coast will be packed. So avoid the big places like La Rochelle, and resort places like Sables-d'Olonne.

Looking at my FFCT cycle touring map of the regions shows that all of the cycle specific routes are circular so, given your limited time and high mileage, I suggest you get a decent map and plot a more-or-less direct route (on back roads where possible) and plan your stops purely around getting the miles in. French roads and drivers are generally pretty good so it's entirely possible to do high mileage in enjoyable countryside without hassle.

OP
OP
V

velo4u

Thanks for the pointers all, yep its pretty much 90/100 each day - 4/5 days is from St Malo and not Bristol, so I have a bit more time and its just short of Bordeaux, this side by about 50/60 km's.
Will be setting off in Mid July, just before the schools here break up, so hpefully should be not be as bad as Mid Aug traffic.
Looking forward to it !

GrahamG

Guru
I'm planning on doing St Malo down as far as La Rochelle and back over 2 weeks at the end of June/beginning of July so if there are any tips then I'd like to hear them too! We'll be happy sticking to unclassified roads though.

yello

General tip; get decent mileage done before midday as it can get fearsome hot in the afternoon. It's light in the morning so it's not difficult to haul yourself out of the sleeping back and get packed up and on the road. Cycle for up to a couple of hours before breakfast. Then find a bakers and treat yourself to a pain au chocolat or some such with a good cup of coffee. It'll taste like the best meal you've ever eaten!

In holiday season, coastal holiday resorts camp sites tend to be packed and over priced. Personally, I prefer to stay away but you are only there (perhaps) the once, so be prepared.

French camp sites generally are excellent, though some are basic but clean and well kept - and cheap. These tend to be unattended but someone will be around to collect money and take details in the evening. Don't be afraid to just pitch your tent if you can't find anyone. Keep an eye out for small stores, supermarkets as you near your end of day stop. A camp site doesn't necessarily mean there's a shop nearby! Always carry something to eat for an evening meal (pasta, rice) just in case - you shouldn't get caught out but if you're riding back roads then it is possible.

As for specific recommendations, that's more difficult. I've been disappointed with recommended stops and enjoyed places I hadn't heard of before. Most of my enjoyment came from just being there (well, here now!) and on my bike in good weather on decent roads and beautiful countryside. Anywhere can look stunning in good weather, and conversely miserable in the wet. So go with the flow; have a general direction in mind but be flexible. You can happen on a fete or market in a town and it's great to have the time just to stop and have a look. In my experience, it's those sort of things that make a trip. Read the guides for ideas by all means but don't necessarily plan by them. Make it up as you go along.

jay clock

Massive member
You'll be doing back to back 100s won't you?
I read this as miles which would be swift. It is about 475km for the area you are heading to, so I think 100km per day is very reasonable. I would get an old copy of the Michelin 1:200 road atlas, rip out the relevant pages and plan a route.

La Rochelle and Rochefort are nice and in spite of the 1:200 map, you can avoid the main road. Stick to the coast as close as poss towards Chatelaillon Plage then follow the signs that take you alongside the main road. Some are missing.

OP
OP
V

velo4u

THanks all, I have just been and picked up some Mitchellin Local Maps Folding. Scale 1:150 000. They seem to be the business. Although of course slightly bulky. Will try and copy some of the sections that I need and take them. THe detail on them is fantastic. I have the main raod atlas as well and this is good.
Good idea on the make it up as you go along. Will probably pick a town depending on how the legs are doing and then try and find somewhere.
I hope to be setting off early in the morning, as I dont really want to be on the bike much after 3pm most days.....could be slightly warm at the time !

CeeDee51

There are a lot of cycle routes south of Bordeaux down almost to Biarritz, no use to you, I know, but they are marked on the Michelin maps.

Top Bottom