Bristol Railway Path still under threat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have a similar problem in Gosport where there is a Bus way that is to be extended

As a cycle route it works as there is room for the busses and bikes. It is also wide, straight, and has a good surface

2914754_89b454a6.jpg

Nowhere near as enjoyable as the present cycle route on the old railway line, which in parts is comparable to the B2B

105259381.jpg

However the extended Bus way is intending to take this over and become an extension of the present route.

For cyclists there is still a useable, but less enjoyable route, but the next phase passes three schools and the ban on pedestrian traffic takes them off this onto dual roundabouts with a three lane road to deal with. There is no clear answer whether the schools will actually have access to the Bus way either as at present the route is closed off except for bus stop access

The problem with all these routes is that they become a victim of their own success, in that it identifies a quick, easy and off the main traffic system route between the two points..... ideal for many of these "modern" transit systems

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I never thought I'd find a reason to like that S-bend at Claypitts!

I really hope it's popularity means it would be unsuitable, currently there isn't enough space in the lower sections for the numbers of cyclists and pedestrians that use it. Add in the fact that near the City Academy (one of the busiest sections), that the pedestrians are teenagers who like to do unpredictable things and I'm hoping that it would be unsafe to mix the two?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Teenagers in Bristol and the SW are unfairly demonised.

But really it's the OAPs who are the problem on shared paths: Drifting across the path as they nod off, mid-walk; can't hear your bell or warning shout; unsightly puddles and funny smells; incoherent group ranting; sharp, disgarded dentures everywhere. Bloody menace they are.

Besides: look who voted in a Tory Mayor. I have heard rumours that campaigners are fighting to keep the oldies under lock and key until lawful euthanasia comes into force.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Teenagers in Bristol and the SW are unfairly demonised.

But really it's the OAPs who are the problem on shared paths: Drifting across the path as they nod off, mid-walk; can't hear your bell or warning shout; unsightly puddles and funny smells; incoherent group ranting; sharp, disgarded dentures everywhere. Bloody menace they are.

Besides: look who voted in a Tory Mayor. I have heard rumours that campaigners are fighting to keep the oldies under lock and key until lawful euthanasia comes into force.
I didn't mean they were being badly behaved just random, chatting to their mates, walking all over the place.

I've been on the path today... fairly quiet in comparison to peak commuting times, but there seem to be reports of a small group near the tunnel hanging around and trying to jump people.... though last time that happened the police stepped up patrols and caught the ones involved.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I didn't mean they were being badly behaved just random, chatting to their mates, walking all over the place.

I've been on the path today... fairly quiet in comparison to peak commuting times, but there seem to be reports of a small group near the tunnel hanging around and trying to jump people.... though last time that happened the police stepped up patrols and caught the ones involved.

Oops! My bad. Sorry. I didn't say I was joshing (being the owner of a 15 year old!)

I was considering a 60-70 mile night ride to include Bristol for coffee/supper but I'm a bit retisant now. Is that the tunnel by Staple Hill where there has been trouble?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Report appeared on Facebook today, I'm hoping that the police will treat it seriously as there was a group a year or two ago that were causing problems. But this was in broad daylight apparently.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is there actually a worse form of transport than "the bus"? You will be lucky if you can get somewhere 20 miles away in under an hour. In my area, a 20ish mile journey by bus takes about 1.5 hours so I'm told. I remember having to use a public bus as a kid, the dam things used to make me feel nauseous. Wouldn't even travel a mile before having to stop again, FFS! Plus there's the waiting around for one and timing your commute to coincide with stupid schedules. Most buses don't operate at 02:30 Sunday morning which is about the most useful time to operate public transport to and from the city center.
I agree about the short service hours, over-frequent stops instead of decent transfers and cycle parking near stops (railway-style), but at least I can travel 40-50 miles in 90 minutes on the express services here.

As ever, Milton Keynes got it right by putting a long distance bus/coach station right by the motorway junction, but as ever, deregulation screwed it up because there was pretty much the only local service was a part time shuttle to the central bus station, so you ended up catching three services to go long distance, instead of two in most towns or cities. In time, many long distance services served the central station too, slowing them down but not being a great help if yours didn't, because only the shuttle had through ticketing. Yay for the private market in public transport :crazy:

Floating Bombus

Report appeared on Facebook today, I'm hoping that the police will treat it seriously as there was a group a year or two ago that were causing problems. But this was in broad daylight apparently.
Broad daylight not necessarily a deterrent. I know someone who got mugged and his bike stolen at 5pm on a weekday where the path goes through Easton (possibly not far from the S bend, in fact!). He got his bike back and wasn't too badly hurt but dozens came off worse.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Broad daylight not necessarily a deterrent. I know someone who got mugged and his bike stolen at 5pm on a weekday where the path goes through Easton (possibly not far from the S bend, in fact!). He got his bike back and wasn't too badly hurt but dozens came off worse.
Hmmm, that's interesting. Glad he got his steed back. Haven't seen anything happen around the tunnel which is near where I join the path every day. Although I did report two moped riding hoodie 'yoofs' who had parked their machines up on the Staple Hill platform at the circular seat last week. Ever noticed how a ray of sunshine brings them out?.

I can't see the WoP compulsory purchasing housing and having it all demolished to make way for Metrobus going from Emmersons Green to Ashton Vale. The only viable route would appear to be the Railway path and, frankly, I think they've had their eyes on it since 2008.

Floating Bombus

It was several years ago. These things seem to go in spates, then a few of the robbers get arrested and it dies down for a couple of years before starting again. I'm not sure what the answer is, apart from obvious things we're never going to get, like effective round the clock policing, harmonious society and universal love and friendship. Oh, I'm auditioning for Miss World again. Do I look good in this swimsuit?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I thougt there was quite a lot of glass on the path when I rode it, but that's a problem with all psyclepaths; the low-lifes enjoy trying to cause punctures and they rarely get swept. Roads are self-sweeping and the yoof don't deliberately break bottles in the road anyway - it tends to be toughened glass from accidents, which isn't even sharp.

rivers

How far can I go?
I thougt there was quite a lot of glass on the path when I rode it, but that's a problem with all psyclepaths; the low-lifes enjoy trying to cause punctures and they rarely get swept. Roads are self-sweeping and the yoof don't deliberately break bottles in the road anyway - it tends to be toughened glass from accidents, which isn't even sharp.
B2B is regularly swept. I see a small council vehicle on it on a fairly regular basis. I also ride the path end to end several days a week. While there is occasionally glass, it's not very often.

Floating Bombus

Glass is not much of a problem on the path. I see a lot of car glass on residential streets, from thefts not crashes, and bottle glass in busy nightlife areas. Surprisingly, it's in the same areas particularly on a Saturday or Sunday morning that the ground is littered with CO2 cannisters, not on cycle paths.
They're nitrous oxide, clubbers' laughing gas, of course.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Roads are self-sweeping and the yoof don't deliberately break bottles in the road anyway - it tends to be toughened glass from accidents, which isn't even sharp.
Local youths in the more troubled parts of town seem quite keen to throw bottles in front of cars, although an increasing number of shops in those areas sell drinks in plastic bottles. I picked up a spirits bottle a while ago, figuring I should put it in my empty basket until the next bin, rather than let it get smashed by the next car, and was surprised it was plastic because it looked like a regular one.

The roads aren't self-sweeping (I shudder to think how complicated it would be to make a self-sweeping road - brushes on telescoping arms coming out from the kerbs?) but they have heavier vehicles on them and get swept by the council more often. Generally, if you want the council to sweep a cycleway, you have to put it on www.fixmystreet.com or similar.

Top Bottom