FNRttC Bristol to Barry Island 25th May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
thanks for that interesting account - you may be interested to know another dangley bridge thingy exists in mid france and we made a slight detour to use it on the Caen to Bordeaux Tour some years ago.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I have the day off. It's a nice day. I go for a bike ride. And, like the day of the first edition of this little jaunt, it was rather a long bike ride. Given the choice between riding to Brizzle, or going for a shorter ride, then boarding the designated GWR (nothing Great about them) cattle truck for three hours as it trundles across the same ground? No contest. Every day of the week, twice on Sundays, and lots more times on a Friday, bike wins....

Unlike last year, I wasn't out the night before, but (apart from not needing to rush) I still had things to do in the morning, not least picking up Chutney after its hub gear service. I revised my route from last year, in an effort to avoid the canal towpaths that slowed me down last time and cut out a bit of climbing- not that this ride could ever be for the hill-phobic. Also cut out about eight miles from the distance. Set off just before eleven, as last year, aiming for the same sort of arrival time at Pizza Express (9-9.30). Weather was not quite as favourable as last year (when I had a strong tailwind, at least when travelling the right way) and early pace was slightly down, unsurprisingly. Rather than waiting until Salisbury to get food, I'd bought a sandwich already, and opted to eat in Lockerley, just east of the county border, at one or so, 33 on the clock. Salisbury itself proved rather gridlocked (and the roads were too narrow much of the time to get through quickly) and it was a relief to turn off the A36 at Wilton. As last year, I then carried on up through Wylve and Warminster to Westbury. Unlike last year, I then turned west. No canal paths, but as it turned out more hills instead. Ho hum...into Bath, onto the Railway Path (somewhat more easily than last year), and onward to Bristol, arriving at Pizza Express at 9.05, just like last year (lower distance to an extent compensating for lower speed and more climbing). Adrian, Kim C and James were already there. A few more joined, including our ride leader, before we pootled over to College Green at 11.30 or so.

Numbers were a bit down on last year, which was a shame- 21 I think started. I joined Adrian at the back- already had 101 miles on the clock so I didn't mind the opportunity to take it a bit easier. First stretch was straightforward enough, and lumpy of course. Clifton Suspension Bridge lovely, again, with gorgeous views, again. Slightly annoyed myself by failing to turn the Garmin on again after the Aust services break, didn't realise until Caldicot (think I lost seven or eight miles from the total). The annoying electronic signs about not speeding on the cycle lanes were still in place on the Severn Bridge, sadly.

Early on in the evening Steve expressed the concern that (as last year) we were making almost too good time. Famous last words…. We made Goldcliff pretty much on schedule, at 3.45 or so. Delightfully eccentric decor combined with excellent nosh? Still in place, happily. So were the windchimes I think, but this time I kept away from them. No sooner had we set off than our progress came to a grinding halt. James went down, he wasn't sure why, and knocked his front wheel out of true (unless that was the cause of the tumble). Steve got the wheel rideable again with a spoke key, and we were good to go…so we thought. Not far up the road, Sarah punctured, but we were still waiting on the tail end. I backtracked to find Adrian, James and Kim C still at the cafe. James's chainring had been bent in the fall, and his ride was done. He and Kim walked to Newport for a train home, it took them three hours after taking a wrong turning...

On the rest of us went to Newport (pausing at the transporter bridge), then Cardiff, via the seaward roads (definitely a better option than the ones I took when I rode all the way there back in 2013...). After the regroup at the Torchwood Hub, a brief stretch on city roads before over the Cardiff Bay barrage and back on to nicer quieter roads. Steve's ETA at Whitmore and Jackson was 8, I made it at 8.15. And what a breakfast. Among the very, very, very best FNR breakfasts. And £7 for a full breakfast, all top-notch ingredients, and a pot of tea. Ridiculously good value. That's lovely indeed. Didn't hang around long there, as I joined Steve, Sarah and a few others to get the next train back to Cardiff (the preposterously stupid post-10am bike ban still being in place). I could have ridden back of course, but CBA. On to Wetherspoons, where I heavily caffeinated, before the 1230 booked train home. Rammed, as usual. Steve fell asleep in about five minutes flat, if not less. I dozed sporadically, when my seat was not being kicked by a child in the row behind (thankfully they weren't going to Pompey). Back into Cosham at a quarter to four, in the land of nod ASAP after that.

Cracking job Steve. Tidy, again.
Same again next year? Hopefully.....

Last edited:

DaveJ

Über Member
Great ride. Nice mixture of terrain. The midway stop worked well and the cafe in Barry was excellent. Its got to be a "must ride" for anyone interested in bridges. I'll look forward to next year.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Great ride. Nice mixture of terrain. The midway stop worked well and the cafe in Barry was excellent. Its got to be a "must ride" for anyone interested in bridges. I'll look forward to next year.
Your daughter seemed to enjoy herself too!

Top Bottom