FNRttC Bristol to Barry Island 25th May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

The second edition of this ride takes in iconic landmarks, beautiful countryside, rivers, estuaries and two countries.

We depart College Green in Bristol at midnight sharp (gathering by the moat in front of City Hall), meeting 11:40 pm for registration and the interactive safety briefing. This is the start location.

Refreshments are at the Sea Walls Tea Rooms in Goldcliff, and breakfast is available from 8am.

Overall, the ride is about 70 miles and not too hilly.

For further details and registration, go to https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/maybarry

robjh

Legendary Member
Sorry I can't make this ride, but I highly recommend it to others.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Despite total absence of advance tickets (nice one, GWR or whatever they're called this week), have signed up. Even if I have to buy a £56 return, this ride is very tidy indeed. Hoping for a nice easterly again, it was a good ride west last year. Marco's again for breakfast?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thinking about this. Looks good. May have to ride back to the West Country afterwards though. Anyone else riding both ways? About 30 Miles to get to the start for me so I would rack up about 200 miles total.

Looks like train tix from Barry to Bristol are about £15 but I can’t find any info on bikes.

Last edited:

StuAff

Looks like train tix from Barry to Bristol are about £15 but I can’t find any info on bikes.
Back to Cardiff, it's a case of put it wherever in usual FNRttC stylee. Cardiff to Bristol will be either the London-bound services (reservations required) or my route home, the cattle-truck Sprinters (reservations, in practice not really worth the bother & I've never had a problem getting on with a bike).

kimble

Veteran
I'm in. Trains from Middle Earth are reasonably straightforward for this one (rare bonus: there's a direct service from Cardiff to University, which means I can roll straight down the hill to home rather than having to negotiate Mordor Central), although any ticket involving Brizzle is eyewateringly expensive...

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Back to Cardiff, it's a case of put it wherever in usual FNRttC stylee. Cardiff to Bristol will be either the London-bound services (reservations required) or my route home, the cattle-truck Sprinters (reservations, in practice not really worth the bother & I've never had a problem getting on with a bike).

Much appreciated. Thank you. Would you recommend purchasing tix on the morning? Or in advance? After a leisurely breakfast I wonder what’s the best time if that’s the case?

StuAff

Much appreciated. Thank you. Would you recommend purchasing tix on the morning? Or in advance? After a leisurely breakfast I wonder what’s the best time if that’s the case?
If you can get advance fares- and they seem to have disappeared for Pompey- that'll be cheaper. Last year, I had an advance fare, booked to leave Cardiff 12.30. Depends how leisurely you want to make the breakfast, if you want to avoid the bike ban, either by travelling earlier or riding back to Cardiff…

BromyG

Veteran
I'm in and looking forward to it! ^_^
(Will be Bromptoning this time to avoid train issues!)

StuAff

It's weird about the advance fares- right now, first weekend of July (the furthest ahead that's bookable) is still showing as Anytime fares for me, no advance options at all.

Tizme

Veteran
Sounds like a really great ride, but as it will be 16 days after my left THR I don't think I'll be able to make it:laugh:

Perhaps next year! Good luck to all that do it and I look forward to the ride reports anyone posts.

Top Bottom