Calderdale off-road forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 25th March 2023, 53 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

My poor old hardtail mountain bike has been out of action since before the pandemic with brake problems and a general lack of TLC. I finally decided to repair it, got stuck in, and it is now almost ready to ride, so... how about joining me soon for a tour of some of the bridleways round Hebden Bridge? I am aiming to do it on Saturday, 25th March 2023, unless the weather is really bad in which case I would delay it by a week or two.

I'll guide you round some nice places that you might never have been to before, with some great views.

Like this...

CAADX on steep bridleway looking towards Stoodley Pike.jpg

And this...

CAADX Stoodley Pike London Road.jpg

And this...

CAADX on gravel road to Walshaw.jpg

I have a lumpy 53 km (33 mile) route planned - 1,500 m (5,000 ft) of ascent - but it is not excessively 'gnarly'. This will be the off-road equivalent of my on-road forum rides - a slow to moderate pace, and chatty. Definitely NOT hardcore off-road. You and your bike should be capable of coping with some fairly rough surfaces, but we won't be riding down anything horribly scary. (Unless you are even more of a wimp than me, in which case we might be! :laugh:)

I don't think tyres narrower than about 35 C would be a great idea whereas decent roughstuff tread definitely would be. I rode some of these bridleways on my cyclocross bike (see above) and its 35 C semi-slick tyres were a bit iffy on some of the surfaces. I got round but I wouldn't have liked even less rubber under me.

We will go up and down the steep sides of the valley a few times so reasonable fitness and/or a motor and/or very low gears would be handy!

It might be a bit much for your first off-road ride, but if you have done this sort of ride before you should be fine.

We will have a cafe stop at 'Craggies' towards the end of the ride.

Craggies.jpg

Oh, silly me - that was before the upgrade... :eek:

Craggies bikes.jpg

That's better! :okay:

After that, it is an easy ride back, though I have included an optional sting-in-the-tail up this...

Old Chamber.jpg

Left turn up that, or right turn and freewheel to the finish - a tricky choice... :whistle:

Anybody up for it?

PS Obviously, full details to follow...

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
Like it. :okay: No bike suitable though. My mtb was stolen sometime ago and I never got round to replacing it.:sad:

FrothNinja

Veteran
Love to join in dependent on the usual family/date etc caveats.
Will have to be on my electric I suspect - will that lead to a lynching??

Dadam

I'm interested, but I'll have to be on my e-road bike, though it's got 35mm gravel tyres. Full disclosure I'm a total wuss on rough stuff, especially downhill.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looking forward to the post-ride write up :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
Hmmm ? That may be an option. Very kind of you to offer James. :okay: How tall are you ? I'm 5'8'' in old money .0017272Km in case you were wondering like.

5 ' 10 I'll have to measure the bike, pump tyres etc as it's not a bike I use regularly!

Top Bottom