Bristol to Bath Railway Path temporary closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Agree. Utterly horrific. One journey saw my water bottle shake so much the drink went all bubbly which in turn caused me to have indigestion.

Bristol Council agreed that my discomfort was the final straw and a decision was made to fell the perpetrators. As a gesture of goodwill, they sent me some Rennies.

As well as the risk of being mugged in the more "lively" parts.
Yes I agree...being mugged en route nearly happened to me twice, including some cheeky ethnically originating character, who asked me with arms stretched out to "please stop". I had no choice but to do so as he obstructed the whole path. When I asked him "Why stop, what do you want?" he replied "because I want your bike...it'zz nice!" I replied, "look behind you!" He did, and I then made my getaway!

Seriously, although this path is a favourite of mine to use at weekends, the staple hill tunnel does scare me since I heard of attempted muggings from in there. I think local police need to focus attention to it for everyones safety :sad:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes I agree...being mugged en route nearly happened to me twice, including some cheeky ethnically originating character, who asked me with arms stretched out to "please stop". I had no choice but to do so as he obstructed the whole path. When I asked him "Why stop, what do you want?" he replied "because I want your bike...it'zz nice!" I replied, "look behind you!" He did, and I then made my getaway!

Seriously, although this path is a favourite of mine to use at weekends, the staple hill tunnel does scare me since I heard of attempted muggings from in there. I think local police need to focus attention to it for everyones safety :sad:

A shame. I am on the B2B path quite often and I am a cheeky ethnically originating character. But for the record I have my own bikes so it probably wasn’t me.

A shame. I am on the B2B path quite often and I am a cheeky ethnically originating character. But for the record I have my own bikes so it probably wasn’t me.

hehe :smile: MY use of the word 'cheeky' referred to that fact that person was harressing and tried to steal my bike, of course. I'm not sure why you would 'think' I was suggesting anything about you, fellow cyclist. All people who do not commit crimes or harress others are equally good in our society :smile: I was factually describing a specific incident, which only I would know about of course.
MY suggestion is that all good cyclists should 'look out for' each other by caring for each others safety, if they see something suspicious or unpleasent happening to another person.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
hehe :smile: MY use of the word 'cheeky' referred to that fact that person was harressing and tried to steal my bike, of course. I'm not sure why you would 'think' I was suggesting anything about you, fellow cyclist. All people who do not commit crimes or harress others are equally good in our society :smile: I was factually describing a specific incident, which only I would know about of course.
MY suggestion is that all good cyclists should 'look out for' each other by caring for each others safety, if they see something suspicious or unpleasent happening to another person.

That’s all great. It wasn’t the word ‘cheeky’ that I took offence to. It gets my goat that people need to make reference to ethnics or origin when it is superfluous to the thread. I know the casual insinuation. I live with it all the time. He may have been born in the U.K. for all you know. But what does a British person look like? A thief is a thief.

I’m glad no harm came to you either way.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Gangs of teens trying to steal bikes are quite often reported. They try and block you in and might wave a knife about. Just don't stop.

That’s all great. It wasn’t the word ‘cheeky’ that I took offence to. It gets my goat that people need to make reference to ethnics or origin when it is superfluous to the thread. I know the casual insinuation. I live with it all the time. He may have been born in the U.K. for all you know. But what does a British person look like? A thief is a thief.

I’m glad no harm came to you either way.

Thank you Heltor, I'm glad no harm came to me either. And of course, I agree that a thief/criminal is a thief/criminal, regardless of where they originate from, or 'look like'. I agree with you.

I'm sorry to hear how you feel about living with insinuations, but relax my friend, I was not making any, and certainly none about you...I don't know anything about who you are! Personally, I treat people I meet based only on how they treat me on an individual basis ;) I am partly 'ethnic' too, and I also have a number of nice friends from all over the world. Just to end this debate, I only mentioned the 'ethinically originating' character which this particular person was, because at the time, as well as being proudly from "Nigeria" as also shown boldly on his shirt, as I escaped his effort to harass me, he swore at me words that included "...we gonna get you engliiish! You engliish iz gonna pay!...". I'm pleased to say, I just cycled away. But of course, no civilised law obiding cyclist using a cycle path should have to tolerate that kind of threatening behaviour or attempt to steal my bike, which that person might mistakenly assume is acceptable to try to do in the UK, as it might be in Nigeria...or wherever in Africa he may have been from.

Wherever a person like that may have been born, or whatever culture they may have grown up with, is of course no defence for not being respectful and peaceful towards others, and not obeying British law, which of course as any police officer will confirm no doubt, falls equally upon us all in the UK.

Actually, talking of police, I personally do wish that more of them did patrol that busy cyclepath, which is in it's own right, a mini motorway for two wheels. Many children and elderly people use it, both to cycle on or walk on. We all deserve to use cyclepaths in safety and peace 24 hours a day. I'm surprised that a city claiming to be a cycling mecca, does not already have police patrolling between Bath and Bristol.

Sixmile

Veteran

I'm planning a wee family biking weekend over there way in May and now, you've made me a little concerned. I'm hiring a Circe Tandem from Bristol and heading out to Bath and I was looking forward especially to the tunnels. Have there been any reported issues recently?

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'm planning a wee family biking weekend over there way in May and now, you've made me a little concerned. I'm hiring a Circe Tandem from Bristol and heading out to Bath and I was looking forward especially to the tunnels. Have there been any reported issues recently?
Don't worry at all. I use the path every day. Morons like this tend to appear at night. Day time is OK.

I live in Staple Hill & use the tunnels on a regular basis, never had a problem in the tunnel although there was a mugging report about two years ago.
If you choose to bike it with your family on, say, a Sunday afternoon, you'll be fine:okay:. It's no more dangerous than anywhere else, plus lots of other cyclists about. BTW, have a look at Mangotsfield station remains, stop at the Warmley Station cafe for some ice cream and their unique Tardis loo^_^.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

As @captain nemo1701 says. Anything else you hear is blatant scaremongering. And I highly recommend the Two Tunnels (Bath) I am a regular and I’m still doing a little dance when I go through them. They are super brilliant.

Top Bottom