Bristol to Bath Railway Path temporary closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
You'll enjoy the two tunnels (actually three with a short one at the end). There's a pub at Midford, nice food but you'll need to lock your bikes up top as they don't have racks down steps. On the way to Bath, stop for a rest at the Bird in the Hand pub in Saltford as it backs directly onto the path. Down steps, but they have racks & a beer garden.

http://www.birdinhandsaltford.co.uk/

rivers

How far can I go?
You'll enjoy the two tunnels (actually three with a short one at the end). There's a pub at Midford, nice food but you'll need to lock your bikes up top as they don't have racks down steps. On the way to Bath, stop for a rest at the Bird in the Hand pub in Saltford as it backs directly onto the path. Down steps, but they have racks & a beer garden.

http://www.birdinhandsaltford.co.uk/

or instead of going down the steps, you can come off the path on the right hand side not too far after, take a right going down the hill and under the bridge, popping into the pub car park on the left

Reactions: mjr
As has been said by others here, cycling the Bristol to Bath route 99% of the time, should be fine, especially weekend daytimes. It's a busy and fun route virtually every weekend throughout the year, and continuing through Bath to the Two Tunnels route is a great experience for anyone visiting the area :smile: The busy path does narrow in several places, so stay alert and take care, but it's a great route for families to share in riding :smile: Check out all the original railway infrastructure on route. In spring/summer if you are lucky, you might find yourself cycling past a steam train speeding along :smile:

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

B2B Path highlights:

1. Stop at the curved sleeper bench in Greenbank to admire the view.
2. Cycling through the Staple Hill tunnel.
3. Mangotsfield station. Provided the inspiration for writer Arnold Ridley to write The Ghost Train. Arnold more famously known as Private Godrey in Dads Army.
4. Siston Common (pity about the ringroad though).
5. Warmley Station. Eat Marshfield ice cream & try out the Tardis loo (no, really, its the lav:smile:)
6. Bitton Station - you can race a steam train.
7. Avon Valley. Just along from Bitton.
8. Bird in Hand pub, Saltford. Time for a pint?

Enjoy.

B2B Path highlights:

1. Stop at the curved sleeper bench in Greenbank to admire the view.
2. Cycling through the Staple Hill tunnel.
3. Mangotsfield station. Provided the inspiration for writer Arnold Ridley to write The Ghost Train. Arnold more famously known as Private Godrey in Dads Army.
4. Siston Common (pity about the ringroad though).
5. Warmley Station. Eat Marshfield ice cream & try out the Tardis loo (no, really, its the lav:smile:)
6. Bitton Station - you can race a steam train.
7. Avon Valley. Just along from Bitton.
8. Bird in Hand pub, Saltford. Time for a pint?

Enjoy.

Hehe Captain! This is a great list, thank you for that :smile: I would add:
9: Another beverage stop at The Locksbrook Inn (popular with cyclists).
10 (optional): Crossing over Windsor Bridge to go to Bellotts Road, for the start of the Two Tunnels cyclepath in Bath, to Midford and back, in time for pub dinner back in Bath :smile: (just take take in the tunnels, look out for dogs on leads, and turn your lights on)!
11: After a great day in Bath, heading to the train station for a well deserved train back (a good idea if too tired, or it's getting too dark or rain is approaching)!

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Hehe Captain! This is a great list, thank you for that :smile: I would add:
9: Another beverage stop at The Locksbrook Inn (popular with cyclists).
10 (optional): Crossing over Windsor Bridge to go to Bellotts Road, for the start of the Two Tunnels cyclepath in Bath, to Midford and back, in time for pub dinner back in Bath :smile: (just take take in the tunnels, look out for dogs on leads, and turn your lights on)!
11: After a great day in Bath, heading to the train station for a well deserved train back (a good idea if too tired, or it's getting too dark or rain is approaching)!

Yep, I've had a few beers & meals at the pub in Midford:smile:

I first used the Two Tunnels path, on the day after it opened :smile: When I first heard classical music coming from recesses in the walls, I found it so eerie! I want to see if I can arrange for some decent Status Quo or other classic rock to fill the tunnels while ridin' :smile: hehe.

Just one warning about The Two Tunnels (Bath)...be very careful and aware of dog walkers inside with dog leads pulled all over the place. I personally don't think a high speed tyunnel is a good place for dog and leads.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

I first used the Two Tunnels path, on the day after it opened :smile: When I first heard classical music coming from recesses in the walls, I found it so eerie! I want to see if I can arrange for some decent Status Quo or other classic rock to fill the tunnels while ridin' :smile: hehe.

Just one warning about The Two Tunnels (Bath)...be very careful and aware of dog walkers inside with dog leads pulled all over the place. I personally don't think a high speed tyunnel is a good place for dog and leads.

I'd go for Pink Floyd. Mind you, I'd never get out of the tunnel....:laugh:

Pink Floyd sounds good to me too captain. Rockin' good sounds while coasting along within the wall with two ends :smile:

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

The path is currently undergoing resurfacing down in Easton but when I rode home last week on Thursday night, I got a surprise - a shiny new resurfaced access ramp:okay::
IMG_3150.JPG

Top Bottom