Britain Gets Another "Steepest" Hill at 35%.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, didn't realise plate tectonics was so active here in the UK.

dodgy

I think I descended that in the mid 90s once on an MTB.
Saw a tweet earlier in the day with pics of the new surface.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Takes all the fun out of 4x4 or trail-motorbiking it, so they find somewhere else,
As one of those leisure 4x4 owners I see first hand the flawed logic of this approach. The closure of many lanes and the sanitising of others has quite the opposite effect to what the council's and campaigners are trying to achieve. It purely concentrates the users on the remaining lanes and increases traffic on these to a level that the historic surfaces just cannot handle...... So they then close those too once the inevitable 'damage' occurs.
Surfacing these roads often removes all character and history that makes them a pleasant place to be in the first place. It also opens them up to 'normal' traffic so time pressed travellers can start following their Google directions and turn the lanes into a rat-run shortcut or little Johnny in his pimped Corsa can use it as an interesting race track!

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
As one of those leisure 4x4 owners I see first hand the flawed logic of this approach. The closure of many lanes and the sanitising of others has quite the opposite effect to what the council's and campaigners are trying to achieve. It purely concentrates the users on the remaining lanes and increases traffic on these to a level that the historic surfaces just cannot handle...... So they then close those too once the inevitable 'damage' occurs.
Surfacing these roads often removes all character and history that makes them a pleasant place to be in the first place. It also opens them up to 'normal' traffic so time pressed travellers can start following their Google directions and turn the lanes into a rat-run shortcut or little Johnny in his pimped Corsa can use it as an interesting race track!
I'm sure the powers that be see some bizarre logic in what they do:wacko:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
664 m at 21% average.
The steepest section is about 120 m at 29%, level with Gorsey Lee plantation.
It's fairly straight, with no bends to go round the inside of, so I doubt there's anything steeper.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
664 m at 21% average.
The steepest section is about 120 m at 29%, level with Gorsey Lee plantation.
It's fairly straight, with no bends to go round the inside of, so I doubt there's anything steeper.
TBH I don't recall anything challenging. It is as straight as a die and fairly uniform. The Google images above make it look more rural/untamed than it is. It might be a while since I last went that way but it is a very nondescript lane IMO.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
TBH I don't recall anything challenging. It is as straight as a die and fairly uniform. The Google images above make it look more rural/untamed than it is. It might be a while since I last went that way but it is a very nondescript lane IMO.
I walked down the clough last summer and I would have to agree with you.

Top Bottom