Britain's Greatest Ever Sportsman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've enormous respect for the likes of @rich p who thinks nothing of cycling from Brighton to Manchester, just to get a cheap pint. Or @robjh who on the CC ride from Llandrindod Wells, seemed to effortlessly maintain the same pace, both up and down hill . . . a bl**dy fast pace too !

I'm not one who says flattery will get you nowhere, and if I'd been able to blag my way out of my sister's birthday do and come to Llandudno I would have bought you a pint - but sadly I can't so you'll have to squeeze a drink out of @rich p

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I'm not one who says flattery will get you nowhere, and if I'd been able to blag my way out of my sister's birthday do and come to Llandudno I would have bought you a pint - but sadly I can't so you'll have to squeeze a drink out of @rich p

Hey, I'm glad you're not going - not really :whistle:

You're just too quick for a 'social' rider such as myself. How many miles are you on each week ? :smile:

ayceejay

Guru
sportsman has a meaning beyond being a winner, in fact being a gracious loser might be closer to that meaning. In terms of sportsmanship or gentlemanly conduct I would say Frank Bruno or Bobby Moore.
I met Dayley Thompson once otherwise I might include him.
A car in front of me on a three laner was weaving about. every time I tried to overtake the car would veer to the right I did eventually overtake and as I went by with my middle finger raised I noticed a long pole tied to the roof of the car which should have been a clue. When I pulled up at some traffic lights the car pulled alongside me and out stepped a buff guy with an Afro. A short conversation ensued and then the light changed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
David Purley. He didn't have much success in motorsport but , at Zandvoort in 1973, he tried in vain to save the life of a fellow competitor while the rest of the drivers just bombed on past in pursuit of winning. Not many sportsmen win a George Medal while competing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Purley

Are we after the greatest sportsman or the person with greatest sporting behaviour. 2 different categories. There will be overlap in the case of some.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Bannister was deliberately paced by the other competitors when he broke the four minute mile.
That's true SJ, he was part of a team rather than an individual, but that would exclude nearly all track runners who get towed along by front runners, unlike Dave Bedford who ran from the front!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's true SJ, he was part of a team rather than an individual, but that would exclude nearly all track runners who get towed along by front runners, unlike Dave Bedford who ran from the front!
The difference in Bannister's case was that the other competitors were in on his record attempt and deliberately paced him rather than him using his tactical acumen to find shelter in the pack.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
True again- nearly all the invitation 800, 1500, 5000m athletic event races have arranged pacemakers now to try and break records to enhance their standings, so it's more common than maybe people think.

Top Bottom