Britich Cycling v CTC membership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
British Cycling v CTC membership

If the mods want to move this thread please do.
I am not sure where to put this thread, but I have put it here as the main reason for being in the CTC at present is the legal advice/cover, something I consider vital given I cycle to work daily, so thats my reasoning for putting it in commuting :angry:
I have just been looking at the British Cycling site, which offer a silver membership for £24. The CTC is currently £36, although they are providing a really nice bi-monthly magazine, other than that the deal looks very similar but £12 more ;)
Is there something I have missed?

jimboalee

My reason for being a CTC member is the insurance. It covers Audax UK rides. 50p per ride, and I did 17 rides this year. The CTC cover any pleasure riding, which was probably another 1000 miles.

For commuting to work, my trades union provides legal cover in case of incidents, but NOT for leisure riding.

The CTC is more expensive, yes.
The CTC shop is a contract with Evans, and members get a little bit of a discount.
There's lots of advice available, and they have Cafe and accomodation lists.

atbman

Veteran
Broadly speaking:
CTC = campaigning + commuting + leisure
BC = cycle sport (competition + coaching +development) + some sporting leisure ( sportives) + some leisure (Everyday Cycling)

If you can afford it, join both, as I have.

Bear in mind that the CTC is the major campigning body for cycling road safety, pushing for improvements in legislation, facilitities, public attitudes, etc. Without our money, most of that stops.

wafflycat

Once again I point out you don't have to be a cycle tourist to be a part of the CTC and you don't have to be into cycling as a sport to be part of British Cycling. Join either.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The one advantage British Cycling membership gives you is the license to race (if you want). Most cycling clubs require you to be a member of BC too (for insurance purposes) - though again CTC would do. I don't think much of CTC's campaigning, and it doesn't use it's right to put up roadsigns enough (like the AA and RAC do), but it's what we've got and it should be supported.Both organisations have 'interesting' member service systems - last time I joined BC they put me down as a junior member and kept sending letters to me as my own dad!

sadjack

I joined the CTC for the insurance and legal stuff.

Then I found the local CTC group and started riding out with them. Their knowledge of everything touring is second to none and the weekly rides around little known lanes and interesting places makes for a good day out in good company.

I dont know whether the BC offer similar.

Depends what your after really.

wafflycat

If you want to race (England & Wales), unless it's time trialling, you will require British Cycling membership and associated race licence. Time trialling you don't need this, as a time trial is not legally a race, but BC or CTC membership is encouraged due to the third party liability insurance. If you want to do Audax, if you don't have BC or CTC membership, you have to pay an extra fee fopr any event you enter to give insurance cover IIRC. With BC you get access to club details which you can join or not - as you wish. With CTC, you're put into a district - the level of availability of rides and friendliness of groups varies - as with all such things.

spen666

Legendary Member
I'm not sure what is said on here re the insurance cover being comparable is correct.

As I understand it the BC insurance does not cover you in the event of you causing injury etc to a fellow rider wherweas the CTC one does

gavintc

Guru
Just pulled this from the BC site:

"If you are involved in an incident that was (or is alleged to have been) your fault or partly your fault your insurance cover indemnifies you in respect of a successful third party claim made against you to a limit of £10 million and you will not be liable for the payment of any insurance 'excess'. This essential member insurance covers non-competitive, social, leisure and utility cycling and also competitive cycling in events held under the auspices of British Cycling."

I am no lawyer, but to me this covers injury caused to a fellow rider. If anyone has better info, I will be interested. IMO, BC provides the cover we need as cyclists.

wafflycat

IIRC... and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong

CTC third party liability insurance does NOT cover you for race events (massed start-type). It does cover you for leisure, audax & time trials (as time trials are not classed as races). Not sure about cover for sportive events.

BC does give cover for leisure, audax, time trials, sportives, racing organised under British Cycling auspices. The 'opt-out' Spen refers to, IIRC, only refers to incidents where you are involved with another rider with same BC cover *in a race situation*. This has been discussed on the time trailling forum periodically.

Having been involved in time trials, I do know that BC or CTC cover applies to that area of cycle sport. I know that audax will accept either too.

OP
OP
Domestique

Domestique

Über Member
The last time trialing I did was around 96 or 97. At that time you could be a member of either to TT. But you could also have no involvement with a club, turn up on the day, pay a one off and ride. I am sure that it is similar today.
I like the CTC but from what I can see I am paying £12 more a year for nothing. And £12 is a lot to me.

wafflycat

Domestique said:
The last time trialing I did was around 96 or 97. At that time you could be a member of either to TT. But you could also have no involvement with a club, turn up on the day, pay a one off and ride. I am sure that it is similar today.
I like the CTC but from what I can see I am paying £12 more a year for nothing. And £12 is a lot to me.

Having been involved with time trials for quite a few years now - basically - no it's not like that - not in England & Wales, anyhow.

To do a time trial - throughout the season (Mar - Oct inc usually), clubs usually have *club events* of an evening. Many will allow a non-member to take part in one or two of these as a try-out. Expect to be asked to join the club once you've done a couple. Expect to be refused to do any more if you don't join that or a.n.other club affiliated to Cycling Time Trials (CTT), the governing body for time trials in England & Wales.

The time trials that go on every weekend up and down England and Wales are generally what are known as *open events*. The meaning is that they are open to any member of a club affiliated to the CTT to enter. Entry is NOT on the line, but done in advance (cut-off point is 10-14 days before the date of the event usually). The advance entry is required for laying out of the field in the correct manner according to previous times at that distance done by each of the riders.

Hope this clarifies time trials for you.

OP
OP
Domestique

Domestique

Über Member
Cheers Waffles, that clears that up then.
Anyway I doubt I will be TTing much, but saving £12 instead.

Top Bottom