British Cycling's New Sponsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
What's an accessible bike?

One that's in the shed but not blocked in by lawn mowers and old paint tins.

Petrichorwheels

Text copied from my email...

Our partnership with Shell​
Thanks to all of our members who have been in touch following the announcement of our partnership with Shell UK on Monday.

We understand that many of you may still have questions, and over the coming weeks and months, our promise to you is that we will continue to listen and share details of the partnership’s first major commitments.

These commitments will include an announcement of our new Limitless programme, which will work to make cycling more accessible, and the recruitment of our first Sustainability Manager, as we make progress on our journey to net zero.

Shell UK join a group of Official Partners for British Cycling, and we’re continuing our work to secure other partners to support us in leading the sport and inspiring more people to ride across Britain. If you have any questions, you can contact us at membership@britishcycling.org.uk

If the 'Read more' bit doesn't work, it takes you to here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/article/20221010-Shell-UK-partner-announcement?utm_campaign=2393549_Member News | 13/10/22&utm_medium=email&utm_source=British Cycling V2&dm_i=480K,1FAVH,Y8S2K,6LF12,1

thanks for that

loved this:
>>We understand that many of you may still have questions, and over the coming weeks and months, our promise to you is that we will continue to listen
standard contemporary PR bla - essentially means, give us a bit of time, quite a bit of time actually, while we figure out just what the fark we have done and think of some new lines

Alex321

Veteran
Am not sure what that means.
You mean: "they are big, they are shoot, what can you expect?"
It means just what it said.

In the context of what I was responding to, about their business and social policies, there are very few companies of that sort of size who are much better.

On the second, I really would do some reading.

Go on then. Nobody is stopping you.

I hope all you upset by the Shell sponsorship are getting rid of your cars to show you mean it. Otherwise its just more of nothing,
“I hope all you upset by exploitative child labour in the textile industry are giving up wearing clothes to show you mean it”

“I hope all you upset by water companies discharging tonnes of raw sewage into our rivers are giving up drinking water to show you mean it”

“I hope all you upset by recent revelations of intrusive police strip searches of minors are going to stop using police services to show you mean it”

🥱🥱🥱

FishFright

More wheels than sense
“I hope all you upset by exploitative child labour in the textile industry are giving up wearing clothes to show you mean it”

“I hope all you upset by water companies discharging tonnes of raw sewage into our rivers are giving up drinking water to show you mean it”

“I hope all you upset by recent revelations of intrusive police strip searches of minors are going to stop using police services to show you mean it”

🥱🥱🥱

So you're not prepared to do anything ? Some of us are.

I don't shop at Primark because of one

I'm an angler and member of a river preservation society and we actively clean up the enviroment and put pressure on Severn Trent and EA , two

Who polices the police? Not you for a start. But it is something we must all be aware of.

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

It means just what it said.

In the context of what I was responding to, about their business and social policies, there are very few companies of that sort of size who are much better.

Go on then. Nobody is stopping you.

actually there is - a polite factual post of mine on matters to do with shell and its activities, plus big oil, received a polite (ish) nod from the mods that such posts were not allowed - should be in another bit of this place it seems.
possibly another equally polite post of mine went - can't remember - i did i think say I might post more stuff pertinent to the issue but obviously can't.
So I can only repeat to read - a fair few well researched books have been written on the subject.
It is also possible of course to search the web - such are the megabucks spent by shell on PR etc, and much of it very sophistiicated indeed, that many of the top hits will be from its own machine, but the truth is out there.
In truth, though I stress that I am not criticising the OP, I don't see much point in this thread existing, continuing, since the matter at hand can't really be discussed.
so it's back to the reading I am afraid - plus talking elsewhere.
declaration - am not a member of British Cycling, was never likely to be a member for various reasons.
so maybe won't be getting in touch with them.
I think many members ARE getting in touch with them - doubtless many are well read and can see through the spin.

So you're not prepared to do anything ? Some of us are.

I don't shop at Primark because of one

I'm an angler and member of a river preservation society and we actively clean up the enviroment and put pressure on Severn Trent and EA , two

Who polices the police? Not you for a start. But it is something we must all be aware of.

Eh?!

Why do you think I’m not prepared to do anything? Where did I suggest this? You seem to have completely missed the point of my post.

And now you’re contradicting yourself. You were the one who implied that people taking what action they feel they can is ‘more of nothing’ - my post was merely trying to point out how trite and defeatist that stance is, and how your behaviour, in relation to other issues, likely mirrors exactly that of people that you’re being critical of in this thread.

And indeed, your reply confirms this - you tell us all now how you “put pressure on water companies”. But you still use water, yes?

So how is what you’re doing in that example any different from people who are opposed to Shell’s actions/ethos putting pressure on Shell and BC but still driving cars?

I don’t understand why you’re having a pop at folk for doing ‘more of nothing’ when they’re doing what they feel they reasonably can, and when you behave in exactly the same way in relation to other issues.

Odd.

Petrichorwheels

Well seems the chief exec has stepped down/gone to spend more time on his bike.
Clearly a debate has been had/important issues explored, if not on cyclechat.
Be interesting to see what happens to the deal.

Top Bottom