British Riders in TdF 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Brad is a brit.

U

User169

This is one of those threads that went entirely as the OP expected.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Contrary to your somewhat foolish assertion, people really do change nationality to further their careers.

Does it matter? It's all just sport, and therefore actually not actually terribly important. When everyone in the world has enough to eat and a place to live, and isn't going to be shot for happening to disagree with whoever is in power, and when the environment isn't being degraded for profit, then sport can be important.

Having teams named after a specific place has been ludicrous for football for years, so why should other sport be different?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If one of the legacies of a post-colonial history is that Brits have settled the world over and have still gladly retained their links with this open, diverse union of several nations then it clearly hasn't been an unmitigated disaster and maybe we could actually feel good about being British.

The most un-British part of this is that cyclists and commentators speak unusual amounts of French.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Does it matter? It's all just sport, and therefore actually not actually terribly important. When everyone in the world has enough to eat and a place to live, and isn't going to be shot for happening to disagree with whoever is in power, and when the environment isn't being degraded for profit, then sport can be important.
As the problems you mention will never be overcome, simply because of the nature of the human animal, I'll take sport as being important now rather than waiting.

ASC1951

Guru
It's all just sport, and therefore actually not actually terribly important.
Sport is essential to our species. It has taken place in all societies and at all times that we have records of. AFAIK it is also unique to us.

asterix

Comrade Member
Plenty of atheletes chose to change their original nationality to British to compete for Britain/England/Wales etc rather than for their country of birth so I can't understand your second assertion, and your first needs some explanation.

That was certainly a very controversial issue when there was a sporting ban on S. African sportsmen/women as a protest against apartheid and many were unable to compete internationally unless, like Zola Budd they could find British grandparents. But that was decades ago!

Ignore Noodley. We are sending him back to bed (no supper) and hope he will get out the right side next time!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Thanks Doc, but I don't think anyone has suggested that cyclists have moved from the continent to Blighty to further their careers (although I did wonder), but judging from the IOC's Jacques Rogge he seems to think it may be occuring in other sports.

Oh, did someone else ask this then?

I wonder if perhaps some of these cyclists became British just to advance their sporting career.

Oh, it was you after all.

OP
OP
fatblokish

fatblokish

Guru
Oh, did someone else ask this then?

Oh, it was you after all.

Was it a question? Did you see a question mark? No? Well then, nobody asked it.

In fact you seem to be the only one who has shared their knowledge of cyclists migrations.
Do try to keep up Doc.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
"I wonder if" strikes me as a question.
It's not my fault if you don't know enough to put a question mark on the end!!! :biggrin:
Anyhow. Be all that as it may, I'm not sure I give a toss one way or the other.

Top Bottom