British RR Championship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Who do you fancy to be British Champion come Sunday? Millar has been training at altitude since the Giro can he make it a second year, Cav is in the form of his life or will it be Russell Downing who has been on fire this year.

First prize is £700 a gold medal and winners jersey.

Skip Madness

I don't know much about the course, but Russell Downing won the virtually identical race in 2005 and if the finish is a little too awkward for Cavendish then I'll go for him in the men's race.

Nicole Cooke was doing very well in the sprints in the opening stages of the Grande Boucle, and coming off that race in sharp form I think she's the strong favourite in the women's race.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Downing is on great form in British races, but I'd be very surprised if he can compete with either Millar or Cavendish who are simply riding at a higher level on a regular basis.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Looking at the line-up, I notice that long-standing Continental/Pro-Tour rider, Jeremy Hunt, is also riding. He's a tough rider I've admired for a long time, and you never know... I think I am favouring Cavendish, if Roger Hammond can keep him in it until the end. No-one will want to be in a sprint with Cav however, so we can expect, breakaway after breakaway attempt from the British-based teams in the race. If any of these are successful and if there are any of the solo Continental/Pro-Tour pros in it, then they will be hard to bet against...

Skip Madness

Well I got the first bit right - don't let me down now, Russell.

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
So Rob Hayles takes it good result for him at 35 and after missing the Worlds early in the year. Of the big British boys Mark Cavendish came in 5th.

Millar apparently split the bunch trying to catch the breakaway and worked the group hard to reduce the gap but it was not to be.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Amazing result - but so well deserved. It was exactly the tactics to which someone had to commit to beat the big riders. I wish I had seen it...

Top Bottom