British sense of humour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Actually, I occasionally cycle past where Bob Olley's Studio is/was. It had not occurred to me that I have not noticed the sign recently. Just checked on Google, he is still around, so, I will have to be more observant next time I pass.
I thought the actual Westoe Netty was going to be rebuilt at Beamish, don’t know if it will happen though.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I thought the actual Westoe Netty was going to be rebuilt at Beamish, don’t know if it will happen though.

Beamish Museum. I have visited a few times with two of the younger Grandchildren.

Grandchildren were fascinated by the Coal Mine, they had never seen a coal fire.

It is very interesting, but, for someone of my age, a little depressing, I actually remember many of the exhibits from when they were everyday items, not museum pieces! ;)

DRM

Guru
Beamish Museum. I have visited a few times with two of the younger Grandchildren.

Grandchildren were fascinated by the Coal Mine, they had never seen a coal fire.

It is very interesting, but, for someone of my age, a little depressing, I actually remember many of the exhibits from when they were everyday items, not museum pieces! ;)
Me too, it was really interesting as I too remember a lot of the things that are now displays, my two couldn’t believe we still had outside loo’s in the back yard of the terrace, even though my parents had the small bedroom converted to a bathroom, you didn’t have to go inside when playing out, there was an old lady next door whose kitchen i remember being exactly like those in the miners cottages at Beamish, with a huge Belfast sink, a mangle, a clothes creel that lifted on pulleys, and a galvanised washing tub with a posser and peg rugs on the floor, if you’re ever round Wakefield with the grand kids, the national mining museum is a good visit at the old Caphouse colliery at Overton, the staff are all ex miners and know their stuff, best of all it’s free entry.

Dolorous Edd

Beamish Museum and Black Country Museum both excellent, especially for the little 'uns.

St. Fagans also very good.

Alex321

Veteran
Beamish Museum and Black Country Museum both excellent, especially for the little 'uns.

St. Fagans also very good.
Indeed. Our grandkids have always liked St Fagans. The indoor part is another of those where there are a number of implements where my wife always says "I remember those in use". And of course the terrace through the decades has things I remember, never mind things she does.

My commute takes me through the village of St Fagans now.

Dolorous Edd

Indeed. Our grandkids have always liked St Fagans. The indoor part is another of those where there are a number of implements where my wife always says "I remember those in use". And of course the terrace through the decades has things I remember, never mind things she doe.

Terrace through the decades was the best!

yes I know about the Stolpersteine - wonderful initiative.
I had reason to mention it once when in Italy.

I just heard that the organisation behind the Stolpersteine has been approaching owners of houses in Munich that belonged to Jewish people before the Holocaust. They sent a letter asking for permission for permission to put a Stolperstein outside these houses for every former resident that was killed in the Holocaust, and they're getting a massive positive response. They're also getting lots of donations.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, saucy seaside postcards. Hitler was such an admirer of them that had Operation Sealion come to pass he was going to set up British HQ in a seafront beach hut at Brighton.

Top Bottom