British sense of humour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
This made me chuckle. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

1633074679929.png

Dolorous Edd

I am reminded of the following (old) story:

"The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign "Speedbird 206".

Speedbird 206: "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."
Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."
The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.
Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"
Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."
Ground (with arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, haff you not been to Frankfurt before?"
Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944 but it was dark and I didn't land"

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am reminded of the following story:

"The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign "Speedbird 206".

Ground (with arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, haff you not been to Frankfurt before?"
That is very funny and I have to clean my computer screen as a result!

purpan

I feel we should acknowledge the comic debt British comedy owes to Aristophanes, who pioneered the surreal comedy pursued by the likes of Python. Frankie Howard, of course, made no secret of his respectful pillaging of Plautus.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was with my hapless boss, prone to saying exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time, in Dusseldorf visiting our German subsidiary.
We were strolling around the old town in the evening with Udo our German host, when boss, a couple of beers in, comes out with:
"Its very pretty this old town part Udo, but I was expecting it to be much bigger"
Udo replies "Well Richard, it was at one point until you British bombed the shoot out of it"

...so the Germans can also have a sense of humour too.

Drago

Legendary Member
Like the old Coventry City Police copper in the 60's, who when asked by German tourists for directions to the cathedral responded, "you found it well enough in the dark in 1940."

When you start a major war and go on to lose, one does open oneself up to a degree of pith taking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolorous Edd

Frankie Howard, of course, made no secret of his respectful pillaging of Plautus.

I seriously doubt Frankie would have let that sentence pass without a "Titter ye not"

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

Brought to mind this - reported as an urban myth by those Wiki spoilsports, but, it would appear (thank you God) they're wrong. Arriba arriba.

stephec

Legendary Member

I remember a similar thing to that about an old guy on a day trip to France.

When he gets stopped at customs and asked for his passport he replies, 'you didn't ask me for it in 1944, in fact there were any French men around at the time to ask me.'

Top Bottom