British sense of humour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I think there is, broadly speaking, a British sense of humour. It tends to be critical, cynical and takes the piss - and I mean none of that in a derogatory way. Of course, being brought up with that, Brits will think it 'the best' - one that other nationalities try to copy but never better.

I suspect that is true of all nations, they all have their own blend of humour - that equally other nations (including Brits) don't get.

I'm amused by the often said 'Americans don't do irony' - it's seemingly implied as a put-down too, as if one has to do irony to be funny. Having lived in the US, I can assure you that whilst it might not be their 'go to' form of humour, it is very much done. And often not 'got' by the Brits.

Not trying to fan flames of warfare, nor dampen spirits, just pointing out that nations do lots of things differently, including humour. And I say that as someone that doesn't get French satire and farce.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive lived and worked in the US, and despite what they and others claim their attempts at irony are piss poor. Some of their comedians and scriptwriters get it, but the general population at large doesn't really understand it.

I could rip the sheet out of them all day and they were so clueless about it they wouldn't notice.

yello

I could rip the sheet out of them all day and they were so clueless about it they wouldn't notice.

Which says what exactly? That they don't 'get' your sense of humour? If "clueless" means they don't get your reference points (which irony tends to rely upon) then it stands to reason that your joke will fail.

Arguably, more the fool you for continuing to "rip the shoot" (presumably for humour's sake) when it's falling on deaf ears. You're only amusing yourself. A stand-up wouldn't get rebooked for it, let's put it that way.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Ive lived and worked in the US, and despite what they and others claim their attempts at irony are piss poor. Some of their comedians and scriptwriters get it, but the general population at large doesn't really understand it.

Probably not just a British thing, but did you not find the sense of humour in the police could be a bit black and sick at times? I know in the prison service it was. Just a coping method I think. Some of tne stuff we came out with would get an instant and lifetime ban in here! :laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Probably not just a British thing, but did you not find the sense of humour in the police could be a bit black and sick at times? I know in the prison service it was. Just a coping method I think. Some of tne stuff we came out with would get an instant and lifetime ban in here! :laugh:

Paramedics are also known for a similar trait, who can blame them ?

Interesting explanaition of why generslly, Americans dont do irony.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-americans-dont-get-irony-2015-1

During the critical negotiations which led to the US Lend Lease saving our limey ass ( Tizard Mission ) we, the British had a big box of goodies inc jet engines, nuclear bomb research, radar etc to give them, and some strategic red lines. Clear communucation was essential. At certain times in the talks, one party would say, "lets table that "
In the UK it means put in on the table for discussion now.
In the USA it means remove it from the table for discussion later

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
I kid you not,I have just returned from a walk and two lattes.On the way back I called in to a pound shop to buy bathroom cleaner.I said to the bloke can I praise your staff for their hard work.I asked one young lady do you sell staitionary she replied no I move around a lot.Not only did he laugh but the lady at the till next to him did also.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes,black beyond belief at times.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think there is, broadly speaking, a British sense of humour. It tends to be critical, cynical and takes the piss - and I mean none of that in a derogatory way. Of course, being brought up with that, Brits will think it 'the best' - one that other nationalities try to copy but never better.

I suspect that is true of all nations, they all have their own blend of humour - that equally other nations (including Brits) don't get.

I'm amused by the often said 'Americans don't do irony' - it's seemingly implied as a put-down too, as if one has to do irony to be funny. Having lived in the US, I can assure you that whilst it might not be their 'go to' form of humour, it is very much done. And often not 'got' by the Brits.

Not trying to fan flames of warfare, nor dampen spirits, just pointing out that nations do lots of things differently, including humour. And I say that as someone that doesn't get French satire and farce.

I know some waspishly dry Americans, who very much do get - And do do irony.

But I think they'll also play up to the idea that we Brits think that the Yanks 'don't do' irony, so they must therefore, be being serious...

It's a sort of comedic double bluff.

I've also got a rather droll German right here, who has lived with me for eighteen months.

She's more sarcastic than me some days..

I guess that might be something to do with the company she keeps :rolleyes:

yello

I know some waspishly dry Americans, who very much do get - And do do irony.
But I think they'll also play up to the idea that we Brits think that the Yanks 'don't do' irony, so they must therefore, be being serious...

Exacterly! What's the applicable Latin phrase? 'ipso facto ergo sum' or whatever. Probably got that wrong. Maybe just 'ipso facto'? Or something else entirely. Ho hum.

But whatever. The fact that someone might play on the notion that they don't do irony is, in itself, ironic. The very definition of it you might say.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Watching Americans reacting on Youtube to British comedy eg. Al Murray, Monty Python etc, can be hugely entertaining:okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
17C2CBDD-E316-4122-9F73-46634856412E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom