British trains vs 3rd world trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I had to commute on the subway this morning. It was a palaver.

But it got me thinking about trains in the third world, say, India. What really is the difference between those over crowded trains and British ones?

The indian ones are overcrowded inside and out, with people sitting on the roof and hanging out of the doors. That's just a safety law. But inside? Just as packed, just as crowded. And on a hot day, almost as hot (OK not quite, but very uncomfortable. Though you can argue at least with the Indian train you get airflow!).

Oh, and in India its a huge bunch cheaper. And I think less arguing too: they realize there's no such thing as personal space on an Indian train, but here, we want our personal space so we can open up a copy of the metro "newspaper".

British trains are fine when I commute outside of peak hours, but that doesn't happen often.

Cycling or getting a motorbike/scooter seems the only way to commute.:thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling is or getting a motorbike/scooter seems the only way to commute.:thumbsup:

ftfy:thumbsup:

In all seriousness, when ever I have to get the train to work it reminds me at how a gawd awful service the train service in London is.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Used the train this morning, I live near the start of the line so i always get a seat. got to victoria, got the bus and got another seat. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Now £60 for a weekly ticket on the other hand!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Used the train this morning, I live near the start of the line so i always get a seat. got to victoria, got the bus and got another seat. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Now £60 for a weekly ticket on the other hand!!

Why are you now train commuting rather then cycling?
There will be times, trust me, that your train system will be so ferked up one morning or evening that you will soon change your mind. Just give it time.

Reactions: gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Why are you now train commuting rather then cycling?
There will be times, trust me, that your train system will be so ferked up one morning or evening that you will soon change your mind. Just give it time.
Chesty cough, cycled with one before and it was hell. Would rather let it settle :smile:

Maylian

Veteran
Currently travelling around S.E Asia for 6 months and must admit our public transport systems seem so backwards and expensive. From Singapore who build the infrastructure into new developments having a flawless and cheap system. Busses all around with WiFi, tv's and films etc.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
But it got me thinking about trains in the third world, say, India. What really is the difference between those over crowded trains and British ones?

The indian ones are overcrowded inside and out, with people sitting on the roof and hanging out of the doors.
You don't get people sitting on the roof of the Underground.

Booyaa

Veteran
Currently travelling around S.E Asia for 6 months and must admit our public transport systems seem so backwards and expensive. From Singapore who build the infrastructure into new developments having a flawless and cheap system. Busses all around with WiFi, tv's and films etc.
My family that live in Singapore would certainly disagree with the flawless part of that.

Top Bottom