British Waterways permit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
<SNIP>
There were reports of each group pushing each other into the canal, and whilst you may chuckle to yourself, I am sure there was a story of someone being pushed in and dying. I think it was an elderly fisherman, but I am not totally sure about that.

In my experience I've never had any problems with fishermen, in fact with a cheery wave and 'hello' to them they are often one of the more friendly groups on towpaths, I've never minded going slower whilst they make room for example.

Sadly the worst group I encounter are other cyclists and in particular those that use the path for commuting, I highlighted the 'pushing in' tale as I know of at least 1 cyclist who aggraveted a pedestrian on the path so much that he was pushed in the next time he passed that ped.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
In my experience I've never had any problems with fishermen, in fact with a cheery wave and 'hello' to them they are often one of the more friendly groups on towpaths, I've never minded going slower whilst they make room for example.

Sadly the worst group I encounter are other cyclists and in particular those that use the path for commuting, I highlighted the 'pushing in' tale as I know of at least 1 cyclist who aggraveted a pedestrian on the path so much that he was pushed in the next time he passed that ped.

Didn't realise you had made point about a cyclist getting pushed in, the story I heard was from the Radio 5 debate. I would agree with you, trying to get on with people as a rule normally gets a similar response. No need to upset others, even though sometimes you meet someone that seems to be spoiling for a fight.

Didn't realise you had made point about a cyclist getting pushed in, the story I heard was from the Radio 5 debate. I would agree with you, trying to get on with people as a rule normally gets a similar response. No need to upset others, even though sometimes you meet someone that seems to be spoiling for a fight.

Just sharing stories lol ^_^

The cyclist in question had apparently cycled at speed and aggressively past a family several times, no idea why, and then on the last occasion the father gave him a good shove and in he went. Recounted to me by a workmate so no idea on truthfulness, and as they were soon to be an ex-workmate I didnt bother arguing with them.

The spoilers are definately always in the cyclist group, I meet the odd jogger with thousand mile stare but they are easily cycled around. It is the cyclists I meet that often are riding too fast for towpath or worst two abrest to the point I have had to stop and make them go single file past me - they seem to expect I'll dive out the way. Just ignorant IMO but thats by no means the norm, majority of cyclist I meet on towpaths are ok but of the bad people they are inevitably on a bike.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Cyclist deserved it then!
We should all try to get along, can be difficult with some motorists though........and that is another story that can run and run.................................

Top Bottom