Brittany Ferries not taking bicycles on Portsmouth routes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Brittany Ferries.
I've been digging about looking at the options for holidays in July/August.
I made a few assumptions with regards to 1. Being allowed to make the journey from Scotland to Portsmouth by train or car; 2. Being allowed into France without having to quarantine; and 3. Being allowed back into Britain without having to quarantine. Obviously, at the moment none of these things are a given, so when I tried to make a ferry booking I was only checking out costs and availability.
Sadly, there appears to be no option to travel either as a foot passenger, or with a cycle! The current policy is also that cabins, even on day sailings, are mandatory to ensure social distancing. Ah, social distancing - so the ferry capacity has been obliterated and they need to make their money somehow. Better then that all travelers are in cars to maximise profit. I can see where they are coming from, but how are WE supposed to get across the channel, even if allowed? Dover I suppose, but I was hoping to travel to Normandy.
It's all pie in the sky at the moment anyway, and to be honest I think I'll just pass on the foreign stuff this year at least. Rain and midgies it is then :laugh:.

Faratid

Sadly, and as you know, when BF start operating again they will be running at reduced capacity for some time in order to maintain social distancing, cabins obligatory etc. They've said that foot passengers and cyclists will not be allowed initially, due to the problems of maintaining distancing. I wonder if this applies to motorcyclists also?
I'm not sure of the situation regarding Newhaven-Dieppe, have you checked that out?
For now at least the FCO are advising against foreign travel, and the 4 week quarantine won't be reviewed until 29th June, and currently BF are not taking any bookings until after 28th June.
Unless you enjoy ferry crossings in isolation, possibly with limited or no catering of shops, longer loading and unloading times, and increased fares, you might want to give it a miss this year. :sad:
You can get updates from the CEO of BF every few days here.

EDIT:
Sadly, and as you know, when BF start operating again they will be running at reduced capacity for some time in order to maintain social distancing, cabins obligatory etc. They've said that foot passengers and cyclists will not be allowed initially, due to the problems of maintaining distancing. I wonder if this applies to motorcyclists also?
Why are car occupants so suited to Social Distancing? Will they be confined to the car deck for the whole crossing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Why are car occupants so suited to Social Distancing? Will they be confined to the car deck for the whole crossing?
No, but the ferry company are getting about £300 return fare for the car in which the occupants of one cabin are travelling, while the cyclist is giving them nothing more than a foot passenger fare. Plus cabin fees for both cases, obviously.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm not sure of the situation regarding Newhaven-Dieppe, have you checked that out?
No, I've resigned myself to the fact that any travel this year is just going to be too much of a stressful ball-ache for my liking (and my tolerance level for such things is low :tongue:). Chill out and stay in the UK is my only sensible option.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No, but the ferry company are getting about £300 return fare for the car in which the occupants of one cabin are travelling, while the cyclist is giving them nothing more than a foot passenger fare. Plus cabin fees for both cases, obviously.
If it is a closed car deck you are not allowed to remain in your car while on passage. This I think back dates to the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster.

Slick

Guru
I was thinking about trying something similar but came to the same conclusion that it's going to be a local tour this year that could be just as good or if not better.

Apart from the infrastructure, weather and lack of midges.:sad:

I recently cancelled a booking to Santander for September (got a voucher to use within two years), my understanding was Brittany are only taking freight bookings at the moment.

MarkF

Guru
It's an imaginary war now and there is no way out...as yet. A few well respected journalists have broken ranks this weekend so its only a matter of time.:okay:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
If it is a closed car deck you are not allowed to remain in your car while on passage. This I think back dates to the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster.
I know. Every time I go "back home" to Rothesay you have to leave the car and go to one of the public areas where I invariably end up being cornered by someone from years back who I no longer have much in common with and have to make polite conversation for 30 minutes. In the old days of open decked ferries you could get a 30 minute kip in the car.

Top Bottom