Broadband download limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

PrettyboyTim said:
Oh, I should point out that Virgin do have some download limits - depending on the service level you're on, if you download more than a certain amount between 4pm and 9pm (their peak period, apparently), they downgrade your bandwidth for five hours.

For the 2Mb/s level, you get downgraded to 1Mb/s if you download over 350MB
For the 4Mb/s level, you get downgraded to 1Mb/s if you download over 800MB
For the 20Mb/s level, you get downgraded to 5Mb/s if you download over 3000MB

All of these only apply between 4pm and 9pm.

In other words if you frequent 'sites' that allow you to swag software for free - then forget during now time...

kyuss

Veteran
I'm with Virgin Media too, on the 20mb/s package. I share the connection through a router with my flatmate who is on a pc and I am on a mac and we've never had any problems. Don't know where domtyler is getting his facts from. An iTunes account simply allows you to buy music and videos from the iTunes store and has nothing to do with internet access. In fact you don't even need an account to use iTunes, you can still listen to streaming radio stations, import and export music to cd and transfer music to your iPod without an account.

Personally I'd stay away from any package that has download limits. They aren't that much cheaper and if you go over your limit you get shafted big style. I don't download huge amounts of stuff anyway but if I did I'd rather have my download speed throttled for a few hours rather than get a huge bill at the end of the month. Like mjones says a lot of the providers that offer download-limited services like this also insist on using their bloated software for access as well which just makes surfing a chore.

Top Bottom