Votes: 11 25.0%
  • BT

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • TalkTalk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
We have been with TalkTalk for a long time and generaly happy with the service, the 18 month contract is coming to an end and they have said there will be a price increase, if I say I am leaving they will no doubt offer me a better deal, but I thought we would have a change, is this a bad move ? will I be disappointed ?
we have Virgin in the street, not interested in their TV offerings, but they have fast broadband, more expensive though. Plusnet did have good reviews, but I have read a lot of negatives,
A landline as part of the package is preferred but call charges not important as mobiles are generally used

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am with BT mainly because we had to be connected to fibre as we didnt have it in this area before. Not the cheapest but at least everything is under one roof so to speak. If anything goes wrong with either the line or the equipment they can't blame a 3rd party like they did when I was with Virgin.many moons ago. BT do seem to have their act together. Very reliable equipment and steady connection with very very few drop outs and with a consistent 39 to 44 MBS which isnt bad considering where I live.

I have heard that plus net is quite good and EE as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As with insurance where they hook you with a low price then hike up the premium next year hoping you won't notice or won't bother, just phone and tell them you won't accept an increase and if they insist, you will take your business elsewhere. The call-centre person will pretend to go away and talk with a manager then come back and agree not to increase the charge.

Milzy

Guru
Virgin = quick but expensive
Plusnet = can’t stand adverts, so so performance vs price.
BT = ok but better deals
EE = runs exactly the same as BT but a tiny bit cheaper.
Talk talk = great for old folk, cheap but performance not the best. Rubbish Customer services.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Talk talk = great for old folk,

That made me smile, thats me.

Smudge

Veteran
I've been with Plusnet for a few years now, but every year i get them to price match the cheapest deal i can get. If there comes a time when they wont, i'll be off.
Currently pay £22.90 p/m for broadband, line rental and anytime calls.

Unless you've got cable in the street then I believe every provider uses BT infrastructure to a greater or lesser degree. They may have their own equipment in the exchange or they may not. So what matters is what service level agreement they have with BT. Virgin et al normally rank near the bottom and independents nearer the top. I've always used Zen, they seem to have good service level agreements and use their own equipment at the exchange.

Smudge

Veteran
One thing you have to watch with these providers, and Talk Talk like to do this...... Is give you a good deal for 12 months, but tie you into a contract for 18 months. Those last 6 months will cost you dear.

vickster

Legendary Member
Virgin. I can’t bear ADSL

I negotiate a new price every time my contract ends. Been with them for years

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Unless you've got cable in the street then I believe every provider uses BT infrastructure to a greater or lesser degree. They may have their own equipment in the exchange or they may not. So what matters is what service level agreement they have with BT. Virgin et al normally rank near the bottom and independents nearer the top. I've always used Zen, they seem to have good service level agreements and use their own equipment at the exchange.

I heard good things about Zen as well.

Top Bottom