Broadband speed checker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
My point is, if you depend on the wifi signal, you're only measuring the speed of the link to your device via the weakest component in that link.
Hi, yes I'd agree with that. Just wondered why I was getting such different readings using different tools using the same laptop in the same place at the same time. The only variable is the measuring tool.

Tried it wired direct into the hub this morning and get Fast.com150 mb, Ooakla 91mb and broadbandspeedchecker 41 mb. Quite a difference. I could see there being a good argument if I ever tried to invoke the minimum speed guarantee!
Just checked the contract (Sky ultrafast) and the quote usual speeds of 140-150 with a guaraanteed min of 100 mb, so I'll give it a week or so to settle in then see if I need to have a conversation with them
As I said I'm happy to have a usable signal in areas of the house that were struggling previously.

bobzmyunkle

Tried it wired direct into the hub this morning and get Fast.com150 mb, Ooakla 91mb and broadbandspeedchecker 41 mb.
Ookla 150, Broadbandspeedchecker 71 here.

Interesting. There's adverts for broadband providers on the Broadbandspeedchecker page and adverts for bike tyres on the OOKLA page.
Am I cynical - usually.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I use speed test as well. I'm not anal about things so I'm not bothered if doesn't give me perfect results. Near enough is enough for me.

I can't remember the last time I used it either.

Buck

Guru
Fast.com was recommended by an Ope reach Engineer as it doesn’t load any adverts or other elements that will give a distorted measure.

As said upthread, wireless is only as good as your wireless signal and connectivity. All the promoted speeds are from the master socket for a device physically connected.

If it’s a new connection ie full fibre then it may take a couple of days to settle down but your measurement does sound poor.

Top Bottom